Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Magnus Angus

Re: New for 2009?
« Reply #15 on: 22/01/2009 at 19:06 »
The argument over top end tackle has always been around, I have always bought the best I could afford and make no apoligy for this, its what I do .

Doesn't that sound sane! I think that's much more normal than some of the bleating voices realize, eg I have a budget for a rod reel or line - what's the best I can get for my money?

There is only so much that can be done with rod blanks, there is , at the moment several blanks around that are the same rod in different cosmetics.

There is some truth in the idea that rods built on the same blanks are similar but they are not necessarily the same. Give identical good quality blanks to two rod builders and in theory at least you could get back a good and an indifferent rod - the rings, whippings varnish, grip and reelseat all contribute to the finished rod - even the paint job has an effect - and I'm not just talking about cosmetics, all those pieces can affect the performance of a rod.

Rods sourced from the far east fall into roughly two types - rods designed by and/or for a specific client, commissioned and made vs rods designed in-house, made and bought off the shelf with or without cosmetic tweaks to suit individual clients. Go back ten or more years and the gear sourced from the far east was predominantly bought off the shelf. For sure there are a few rods from different brands which are the same - probably fewer than one might think now. Now much of what we see is commissioned: designed, specified and made exclusively for one brand. The contracts large importers place with their suppliers mean they have a good deal of leverage - no good businessman will mess about with contracts worth millions to sell a handful more.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #16 on: 22/01/2009 at 19:24 »
I'm not surprised there is a lot of new equipment coming onto the market this spring. There is a long lead time in research and development programmes for companies who manufacture their own blanks, let alone placing orders  for supplies, preparing catalogues, getting them printed. This time next year may be a different story.

What would not surprise me is heavy discounting on catalogue prices to shift product that is lying in warehouses and dealer's shelves. Companies may be prepared to trim margins just to recover the cash that is currently tied up in stocks. That depends on whether they have borrowed to purchase stock and if they have overestimated on predicted sales volumes. But I doubt that will happen with top of the range products.

Incidentally the pound is UP against the New Zealand dollar so that might make blanks from CTS a good buy this year. Anybody know anything about them?

Irvine

Magnus Angus

« Reply #17 on: 22/01/2009 at 19:37 »
one of the biggest commercial mistakes that tackle companies made   was the rod replacement deal. 

Interesting looking at it from a retailers point of view isn't it.

From a market (not a marketing) point of view Unconditional Lifetime Warranties are simply bizarre - so a consumer can buy once and never again? Off hand I can't think of anyone now offering a Warranty that's not conditional in some form - where the owner pays for the replacement part or rod, or where the lifetime of the item of tackle is key and that's limited to a number of years. I'm also beginning to see warranties which are extremely expensive to implement and some where shops sell the consumer a replacement section - interesting idea and the shop makes a profit on the replacement sale.

Unconditional Warranties were initially used (ie marketed) by one company as a completely cynical and ruthless means of buying market share. They knew that it would de-value the market but.... Thing is it's very hard to put the genie back into the bottle, their competition had to match their deal, then almost everyone did it - now things are gradually easing back.

What that caused and to some extent has left us with is a high end market where the marketing effort focusses on and is driven by claims of better performance amongst other things - "I need to replace that venerable two year old rod because some genius rod designer has created the newest, latest greatest lightest stiffest fastest most ultimate-est...."
(In that sense its rather like the race to have more and more mega-pixies in a digital camera - bugger shutter accuracy or reliability, or lens quality, or camera build quality, or  image quality - gimme more pixies.)

On the other hand, I know from a magazine survey that the number of fly-rods we now each own has risen dramatically. Where in the past it was typical for a keen angler to have one or two rods, now they might have a dozen or more - somewhere between 6 and 12 seemed typical for those wo replied to the survey.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #18 on: 28/01/2009 at 22:28 »
Here is an interesting one. This mono is designed to last 5 years unlike conventional mono which can last 600?? years! Sounds like the future to me. They developed the technology working in the medical field with dissolving stitches.
http://www.biolinefishing.com/index.php

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 28/01/2009 at 22:50 »
Interesting Noel ...... I haven't found that normal nylon creates major problems in my experience at the loch, it seems to rot away quite quickly. Flurocarbon on the other hand :shock I think most of you already know my views on that stuff :z6

Yes, very interesting :z3
Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 18/02/2009 at 21:04 »
Been sorting through some of our new inserts and these are good cross section of the patterns. I think they are great :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 19/02/2009 at 08:27 »
Some sexy inserts there Sandy!! Question is, are you going to "marble" the epoxy to match? ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com