Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

heartlander

Loops on new lines
« on: 21/01/2009 at 08:55 »
Hi everybody,

I am Peter from Germany. I just bought two Barrio flylines (thanks for posting them that fast Mike  :z16) and tried to make some loops on them.
I normaly sew the end to a loop, but that won't work with this lines. Ans ideas, how to make a good loop in those lines?

Thanks,

Peter

Mike Barrio

Re: Loops on new lines
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2009 at 09:59 »
Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum :z16

Probably the easiest and most common way of attaching fly lines in the UK is using braided leader loops like the one below. They work, but tend to have many disadvantages, like attracting dirt and hinging etc.

I prefer to knot a length of nylon or a furled leader directly on to the fly line. I am not very good at describing how to tie knots I'm afraid, so I will cheat and link through to John Gray's excellent website ( I'm sure he won't mind ) :wink

See http://www.trout-salmon-fishing.com/flyfishing-knots.htm#Constriction_Knot ..... The "Constriction knot" will work well on a Barrio fly line ( as do other similar nail knots ) and the "Gray's Loop" would be fine too, if you normally like to use a loop to loop connection.

I hope you find this useful
Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2009 at 12:05 »
Hi folks :cool:

Anybody else got any favourite methods for attaching leaders to fly lines?

Best wishes
Mike

heartlander

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2009 at 07:22 »
Thank you for the link Mike!
I will try the Gray Loop.

Petri and tight lines,

peter

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com