Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ARF!!

dry fly gadget
« on: 20/01/2009 at 00:12 »
just found this little gadget to help the beginner to chose a fly to start the day of with, but is it really any good, your thoughts please.
http://www.whichdryfly.co.uk/

Barry Robertson

Re: dry fly gadget
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2009 at 04:44 »
I think you would be better guessing than than using that chart?
Every river is different as is every stillwater so really the chart is quite useless.
Best advice would be to do some research before going to a new location or talk to another angler if there are any there upon arival.
Most of the time you can see what is hatching off so it's just a matter of looking  :shock

:z18
Baz

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2009 at 08:54 »
I had a play with the fly selector - well, you have to, don't you  :wink - and the suggestions are reasonable enough (particularly if you live south of the border), although I suspect it's more about selling flies than a truly practical guide.

For something more useful for the river angler in general you might look here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-tactics.html but I'd agree with Baz, time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted  :wink

Hamish  :z3

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #3 on: 20/01/2009 at 08:56 »
WHAT IS SANDY HOLDING IN THIS PHOTO? (CENSORSHIP CROP???)  :z4 THAT SMILE IS SEDUCTIVE

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 20/01/2009 at 09:01 »
All I can say is don't get too close to Sandy when he gets excited by a fish  :shock  :shock  :z7  :z4  :z4

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #5 on: 20/01/2009 at 09:10 »
All I can say is don't get too close to Sandy when he gets excited by a fish  :shock  :shock  :z7  :z4  :z4

HAHAHA

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 20/01/2009 at 12:36 »
Disclaimer

"No fish were harmed or abused in the making of this photograph"

:z4 :z4 :z4

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #7 on: 20/01/2009 at 12:46 »
Disclaimer

"No fish were harmed or abused in the making of this photograph"

:z4 :z4 :z4

haha thats good to know Sandy, I hope somehting like this wont happen when you take, little old me out on the river.  :roll  :z7  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com