Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Luckiest Day's fishing New
« on: 18/01/2009 at 16:24 »
Well I've had some great days fishing and some good days fishing (no bad ones, no such thing) but today was my luckiest  :z4

I was feeling shite last night , still jet lagged and I'd picked up a cold , nae doubt from the air con on the plane. So was not sure if I would get out today , got up had breakfast and felt I bit better so headed out to Waulkmill. Fished the windward bank and had a couple of nice trout before lunch.
After my coffee I tried the lee bank , there had been nothing much doing since lunch so I put the rod down to have a look in my flee box to see what to try next , I looked up to see my Sage XP , my Grey's GTX disappearing into the depths  :oops The water was crystal clear I could see the reel about 10 ft out so started to strip off to wade in and get it, just then the fish took off again and the reel dissapeared out of site  :cry

The guy fishing up the bank from me walked down to see what the carry on and expletives were all about , just then like Excaliber the tip of my rod appeared , they guy was about to cast out and try to hook it when the fish took off again  :roll I was gutted.

Back to the car and got my Outcast rod and cast out in the same spot to see if I could hook the line , second cast (no it was not that easy) fish on , the guy down the bank said dont land it , let it run a bit it might tangle in your line , nae such luck.

Back to the car again ,to put on a lead core line , oops the reel that spool fitted was at the bottom of the loch  :mad I was soo angry with my self for making a school boy error and watching £700 worth of kit disappearing. I kept plodding away casting out letting the fly sink and inching it back along the bottom , a few times my heart rose , no it was weeds , then an old plasic bag. I decided to move up the bank a bit and cast out again , I felt something , weed again ? no the line came to the surface having hooked my lost line , my heart was in my mouth until I got a hold of the line , rod retrieved fish landed and released  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 Lesson learned for me.

:z18

Jim    

Hamish Young

Re: Luckiest Day's fishing
« Reply #1 on: 18/01/2009 at 16:48 »
Best catch, release, catch, release..... err release story I've ever read  :z16

Nice one Jim  :z4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 18/01/2009 at 16:49 »
 :z4 :z4 You were very lucky there jim live and learn live and learn.

I was there yesterday was tough going had 1 blue and 1 bow on tiny brown buzzer, was another three guy's there and not even a knock for their day!

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 18/01/2009 at 17:23 »
Hi Jim :z16

Lucky one, good job you managed to get it back :cool:

You'd be surprised just how often this happens, I often see rods go over the side of the boats ..... it is just a bit easier to follow the line about in a shallow loch when you can row after it.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2009 at 17:42 »
I was there yesterday was tough going had 1 blue and 1 bow on tiny brown buzzer, was another three guy's there and not even a knock for their day!

Dave

Don't know what it has been like at Waukmill, but it has been a funny couple of days fishing-wise and the answer appears to have been "the more you retrieve .... the less you catch" for most of the day. The trout have been a tad keener to take an interest in something moving from about 3pm onwards :wink

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2009 at 17:52 »
Don't know what it has been like at Waukmill, but it has been a funny couple of days fishing-wise and the answer appears to have been "the more you retrieve .... the less you catch" for most of the day. The trout have been a tad keener to take an interest in something moving from about 3pm onwards :wink

Cheers
Mike

Funny you say that mike i didn't get a take till around 2.30pm but i was doing a slow figure of 8 and nothing so decided to try a faster jerky retrieve and bang there i was into a fish.

Dave

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #6 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:37 »
man that is lucky!

reminds me when Paul Young was salmon fishing in Alaska and the Rod got RIPPED out of his hands.

PDScott

« Reply #7 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:39 »
Jim,

Might this be the week to try the lottery?
I am glad you retrieved your gear - after last night's gales I never imagined anyone would be daft enough to venture out, but there's always one I suppose!

All the best

Peter

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 18/01/2009 at 19:20 »
Hi Jim,

I've seen it twice before - one guy got his kit back (after 4 or 5 of us were fishing for it) & one set up was lost.  :z8

Did you pay for another permit to use the second rod? :z4

so started to strip off to wade in and get it,
but how far would you go to retreive your kit?

All's well that ends well.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:39 »
How big was the fish?

:grin

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:41 »
Not a monster Sandy , around the 3-1/2lb mark , a testament to the fitness of Dave Basfords trout  :wink

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:45 »
 :z4
Sounds like a fun day was had  :z16
Cant believe your rod was not damaged?
Bet you wont be leaving the rod un attended again  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:52 »
You better believe it Baz  :z4 :z4

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:53 »
Not a monster Sandy , around the 3-1/2lb mark , a testament to the fitness of Dave Basfords trout  :wink

Jim

That would have worked out £200 a pound, for a fish that got away :shock

A very lucky day indeed :z18

Sandy

spencie

« Reply #14 on: 19/01/2009 at 10:57 »
I've seen that happen at Lochter. The chap put his rod down to light a cigarette and the fish took the rod into the middle of the bowl furthest from the hut. It took me about half an hour to manage to hook his line for him and retrieve his new and expensive rod and reel.
I think he'll think twice about lighting up again :z4

Stuart

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com