Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Fishing, casting & tying
« on: 17/01/2009 at 23:34 »
Achieved the unachievable today - managed to dodge a lengthy period at work, tidied the loft, took the family out for dinner AND managed a 3 hour session @ lochter.

If I didn't get out today then I'm sure I'd have been found rocking back and forth in a corner somewhere.

Anyway,

Fishing Success had 10 including one of 12lb +
New Rod Success - fished with my new (second hand) 4wt XP - really like it.
Flies Success - had the fish on GRHE's tied as shown by Ben @ the Orvis tying evening and PTN's as shown in a previous post.
Casting - I'm going to put today down as a positive. It was windy and using a 4wt has an obvious bearing but the latest tips on tracking and squeezing the handle when 'stopping' the rod to tighten loops really helped today. Some casts were p*** and wind knots were encountered 3 or 4 times but there were also some periods of effortless, long, well presented casts, two of which resulted in immediate takes and a very, very satisfying feeling. I realize that I've a fair way to go but am at least on the ladder.

There can be no doubt about the value of this forum, it's organised events & the willingness of members to share their knowledge.

:z16 :z16

Tight lines

Iain

no I'm not drunk - just one glass 'o' cider

Derek McLaren

Re: Fishing, casting & tying
« Reply #1 on: 17/01/2009 at 23:41 »
Aye it's fine to share tips and tricks :z4,well done it's great to get out :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2009 at 23:43 »
Sounds like you had a braw day  :z16
Could not agree with you more about the forum, since joining i have also learnt endless amounts of tips and tricks wheather it be fly tying or fishing.
Its a bit frustrating sometimes though when you see so many people online and only the usual suspects posting, just wish everyone would share a little - that way we could all learn more  :z18

Have been tempted to come up to the casting  gatherings as iam not a great caster but intresting to hear you picked up some valuable tips on your visit    :wink

How did the monster fish perform? bag of water or a decent scrap?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2009 at 23:56 »
Baz,

It was a strong mother with 3 or 4 steady runs but never down to the backing, more deep and solid. Nice fish usualish type of tail.

I must admit it is nice to catch a large one now and again but for me the whole thing about fishing is the take, size is not of great importance.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2009 at 00:05 »
Great stuff Iain :z16

I can't wait for the next Outcasts day, I'm really keen to do some work on the roll casting side, with snake rolls etc. I wish I could think of a way to set up a practice area over at the loch, without upsetting the fishing ....... I'd be at it all the time :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Derek McLaren

« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2009 at 00:05 »
What i like about the forum is the lack of neer do wells telling us how to spell, unlike some other forums.

The fash dint seem to mynd if i kant speil  :oops

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 18/01/2009 at 00:09 »

I know what you mean by the take, thats why i like my buzzers or even a troot diving for cover after sipping a dry !

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 18/01/2009 at 00:47 »
Good stuff Iain,

Pleased to be of some use, I am desperate to get out fishing, more so after reading your post :cool:

(Cameron, I will post pics of the flies just as soon as I can find the tub I put them in when I tidied up, I am famously disorganised  :z4)

If you were throwing a 4wt in todays wind and managing then you are definitely doing something right, I was out with a 15ft er today doing a bit of practice, the wind was a bitch  :mad

Second the comments about the forum, good place to be  :z16

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 18/01/2009 at 10:10 »
Its a bit frustrating sometimes though when you see so many people online and only the usual suspects posting, just wish everyone would share a little - that way we could all learn more  :z18

Aye seems to be the way of most forums :z8 I guess a lot of people either don't want to share or a worried about saying something daft.
Wheras the rest of us realise we are already daft so it doesn't matter :z7

Still it is a pity, i learn loads on here too and where else do you meet so many likeminded people to become mates with :z16

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 18/01/2009 at 10:13 »
Mike

Like the new signature strip :z7 Only just noticed :oops

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com