Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek McLaren

Re: My wife stood on my delicate Bo.......
« Reply #15 on: 17/01/2009 at 22:41 »
I'm sure they are full ceramic (didn't know there were other variations).

One size to my knowledge - not a problem to me but then I work as a dressmaker.

The prices vary from site to site (quite considerably) but heres one in the range quoted

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/tying_tools.html

Cheers ,I notice that they have bullet shaped thumb rests mine had a slim black coating,I am sure i could adapt I am a country cheel efter a :wink

Barry Robertson

« Reply #16 on: 17/01/2009 at 22:46 »

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_2920_Laptop_LX.ANK0X.239/version.asp
I got an acer aspire not to long ago and its proving to be a good buy - tesco use to have some models around the £350 mark which are good too  :z16

Derek McLaren

« Reply #17 on: 17/01/2009 at 22:47 »
she is thinking about an Asus X59GL-AP007C Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD SM DL, 6 Cell Batt, nVIDIA GeForce 8200 Vista Home  from e buyer,but aldi are doing one with a 3 year warranty,The youngest daughter has a medion from aldi and it seems ok

who Knows ,thanks for the input, asus seem to give a lot of bang for the buck :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 17/01/2009 at 22:51 »
she is thinking about an Asus X59GL-AP007C Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD SM DL, 6 Cell Batt, nVIDIA GeForce 8200 Vista Home  from e buyer,but aldi are doing one with a 3 year warranty,The youngest daughter has a medion from aldi and it seems ok

who Knows ,thanks for the input, asus seem to give a lot of bang for the buck :cool:

Yes, that's a good spec Derek :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #19 on: 17/01/2009 at 22:54 »
Lost me there with all those names but i concur, Nice Pc  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 17/01/2009 at 23:12 »
Oops Derek, I just checked the boys laptops ...... they are both "Acers" and not "Asus" :oops

Sorry for the mistake, I hope you didn't rush out and buy one over the last 10 minutes :shock

Cheers
Mike

Derek McLaren

« Reply #21 on: 17/01/2009 at 23:14 »
Oops Derek, I just checked the boys laptops ...... they are both "Acers" and not "Asus" :oops

Sorry for the mistake, I hope you didn't rush out and buy one over the last 10 minutes :shock

Cheers
Mike

Dont worry mike the way things are going it will be 2010 and by then they will be implanted ,or incorporated into specs or whatever :z8

Kevin Muir

« Reply #22 on: 18/01/2009 at 13:34 »
Hi

If you are looking for a bobbing holder that should never fail you, try a Matarelli. They are made out of stainless steel with brass buttons for the spool.

Very old design and now classed as a classic compared to the more modern stuff (TMC ceramic and Rite bobbins etc). The great thing about the Matarelli bobbins is that if you dop it on a hard floor, 1, They never break, 2, If they get a burr on the end of the tube, it is an easy job to reectify this with a small piece of leather and either very fine valve grinding paste or Brasso, you rotate the end of the tube on the rough side of the leather with the abrasive paste, a few minutes later, as good as new.

They are not as fancy as the TMC in looks but I have had a bunch of them for up to 20 years, great product.

I had a brief period when I bought the white TMC bobbins, but after a disaster with a white TMC bobbin that broke when I dropped it on the floor (I was really P***** off). I would not buy a bobbin holder with a full length tube again.  I suppose thay were never designed to bounce back onto the table unharmed but things do fall on the floor.

To date, my Matarelli bobbins have never let me down, great product but old school now I suppose.

Good luck with your new bobbin holder.

Kev.

Derek McLaren

« Reply #23 on: 18/01/2009 at 13:58 »
cheers Kev ,I will have a look at them,I use metal bobbin holders for my floss but they were cheapies :z4

:z16

Derek McLaren

« Reply #24 on: 18/01/2009 at 14:03 »
do you think she would buy me this seeing as my original is discontinued   :wink  :wink  :wink.

http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/Catalog/Fly-Tying-Supplies/Tools/Bobbins/NORAUTOBOB/

Nah too  technical  :z4  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:38 »
Derek

I'm with Kevin, never needed Ceramic bobbin holder, i like the simple ones i can re-dress.
Never had a problem with thread fraying either. :z16

Keep it simple :cool:

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #26 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:44 »
How does thread fray so much then when i dont use a ceramic bobbin?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:46 »
How does thread fray so much then when i dont use a ceramic bobbin?

Check your rim :z4 :z4 :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #28 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:52 »
Seriously my rim looks fine  :roll
i will show you it at banchory if you like , see what you think  :wink

Even my new ceramic one doesnt stop the thread fraying - guess iam just a bit heavy handed!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:54 »
Let me think :z10

Do i really need to see your rim :z5

:shock :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com