Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

Re: Spiders
« Reply #45 on: 19/01/2009 at 12:09 »
gonna have to tie a few of these up and give them a wetting me thinks.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #46 on: 19/01/2009 at 12:29 »
here is a nice looking spider from a great tyer - Hans Weilenmann

Golden Spider

http://ukflydressing.proboards47.com/index.cgi?board=tg&action=display&thread=2875

Mike Barrio

« Reply #47 on: 19/01/2009 at 14:14 »
bigtroots latest fish catcher

Nice one, that'll catch fish :z16

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #48 on: 19/01/2009 at 14:16 »
We used this years ago,should still work :z4

Yes, I like that one too :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #49 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:29 »
Baz

If you cant find hen hackles the right colour, use the inside feathers from the base of a Moorhen or coots wing, It'll give you the right kind of colour and be nice and soft too :z16

Incidently the picture mike posted was the lighter version of the waterhen bloa tied with the inside wing feather, If you are looking at the photos and the sparse bodies, its the traditional way to tie them, I suppose it depends what you are looking to imitate.The sparse bodies are primarily meant to be Upwings, which have translucent bodies. Midge are often quite tranluscent too, whereas Sedge and stonefly are solid colours and are dressed more heavily or with thread bodies.

I like the way you did the one in your picture, tied with lime or orange it should be very effective as a slow sinking midge pupa imitation with just a little kick about it :z16 I'd personally use a Starling back feather (nice iridescent green/purple/black) for the lime and i'd tie the orange with Golden plover (like the hares ear in the photo mike put up) or a dark greewells/cochybondhu hen (with nice light tips). I'd try to tie through the hackle like i did in the SBS it will lift the hackle out and make it kick :z16

Two of my favourites, from the last 2-3 years have been the partridge and peacock and the Black peacock and plover, they are great allrounders and seem to work on most waters i've tried at all times of the year, but particularly well just sub surface.

Link to original post on these flies   http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93.0

Sandy

This is more expense yet again  :roll
So i need moorhen and starling back, any recomendations where to pick these up was on the net last night looking for some dun hackles but there is so many i got lost.
Do you have to buy the dun as a saddle/cape or can you get council sized bags?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #50 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:37 »
This is more expense yet again  :roll
So i need moorhen and starling back, any recomendations where to pick these up was on the net last night looking for some dun hackles but there is so many i got lost.
Do you have to buy the dun as a saddle/cape or can you get council sized bags?

Wings will be fine (pretty cheap :wink)
I would watch capes as most of them are genetic now, Genetic hen hackles are not really soft enough for spiders.
try to find indian or chinese hen capes, cheap and lovely and soft.
I'll have rake and see what i have, i can bring to Banchory in a couple of weeks, if i have anything appropriate :z16

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #51 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:46 »
Wings will be fine (pretty cheap :wink)
I would watch capes as most of them are genetic now, Genetic hen hackles are not really soft enough for spiders.
try to find indian or chinese hen capes, cheap and lovely and soft.
I'll have rake and see what i have, i can bring to Banchory in a couple of weeks, if i have anything appropriate :z16

Sandy

Thanks  :z16

Dont want to bum materials off of you but its always good to see what exatly you need to buy before going and wasting MORE money on materials that are not right for the job and have done that many times now  :z4
Who said this was a cheap hobby!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:48 »

Who said this was a cheap hobby!

not me :z6

BUT Its a hobby that used to go cheep  :z4 :z4

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #53 on: 19/01/2009 at 22:41 »
Just threw this together - Think I'll give it a try sometime.

Derek McLaren

« Reply #54 on: 19/01/2009 at 22:51 »
Thats a Humdinger  :z16  :z16, Imagine that hinging below a thinglma boobbbber  :z4    :z4

:z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #55 on: 19/01/2009 at 22:58 »
and some size 14 spiders I tied for fishing the river last year - never got round to trying them.

(sorry for the head on the 'red monkey' & the hackle tag on the 'purple lovely') time for spec's me thinks.

The red & black spider at the top is a shop bought Paul Proctor pattern.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #56 on: 19/01/2009 at 23:05 »
Thats a Humdinger, Imagine that hinging below a thinglma boobbbber

I am  :z3  I wonder how much Sandy want for his Turbo Rod   :wink

Perhaps he'd swap it for a decent joke book! :lol

Derek McLaren

« Reply #57 on: 19/01/2009 at 23:06 »
you should get plenty movement from them ,I think they may even catch a troot or two .
 :z18

Barry Robertson

« Reply #58 on: 19/01/2009 at 23:54 »
Just threw this together - Think I'll give it a try sometime.

Nice fly Iain  :z16
What did you use for the hackle and the cheeks?

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #59 on: 20/01/2009 at 09:55 »
looking good Iain,

After the sunshine of the Golden Spider, it is now time for a dour, somber looking critter. The Dark Side of the Force 8-)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com