« Reply #30 on: 16/01/2009 at 22:26 »
The quinta ruban is rather good :z16

mucho impressed, makes a change from javan' coffee :wink

:z18

Sandy

Barry Robertson

Re: Spiders
« Reply #31 on: 18/01/2009 at 23:33 »
Would be intresting to see picures of diff variants people use on stillwaters, a spider means a million things really  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 19/01/2009 at 00:27 »
Hi Baz :z16

Here is a link to a thread about two of Sandy's favourites and these were very productive indeed at Haddo. The Waterhen Bloa in a recent step by step by Sandy is also a great stillwater fly :wink

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93.0

There are numerous spiders which fish well on a stillwater. Size 14s are perhaps the best, but 12 and 16 also produce good sport :wink

A few more examples:
Black Spider
Pearly Spider
Snipe & Purple
Greenwell's Spider
Hare's Ear Soft Hackle
Hot Spot Spider Red
Hot Spot Spider Green
Black & Peacock Spider
Partridge & Orange Spider

Cheers
Mike

Waterhen Bloa

Hare's Ear Soft Hackle

Derek McLaren

« Reply #33 on: 19/01/2009 at 00:37 »
Would be intresting to see picures of diff variants people use on stillwaters, a spider means a million things really  :z4

This is the kind of thing he is looking for one from bigtroots vice,he cant upload pics

enjoy  :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #34 on: 19/01/2009 at 00:48 »
My first effort ok so have to work on my hackling skills,  :oops
Is the hackle to short or am i on the right kind of spec for something like this :z16

After having a look at the other photos of Sandy's spiders, it seams the bodies are all sparsely dressed - would that make my bodies over dressed or just differant ??
 :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 19/01/2009 at 00:53 »
This is the kind of thing he is looking for one from bigtroots vice,he cant upload pics

enjoy  :z4

If you replace your lime thorax with a couple of strands of peacock and add small jungle cock, then do the hackle with two turns of grey dun hen feather ....... you would be pretty close to Stan Headley's "Near Perfect Buzzer" and one of my firm favourite small stillwater flies! :wink

Barry Robertson

« Reply #36 on: 19/01/2009 at 00:59 »
Will see what i can do over the next few days!
Its a start anyway  :wink

Found this which should help me a tad  :wink
http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5356.0

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 19/01/2009 at 01:11 »
Great stuff Baz :z16

I couldn't find any decent pics of Stan's two best buzzers :z6 but the one below shows the Near Perfect Buzzer and the Blushing Buzzer.

The blushing buzzer should be easy enough to work out from the photo, but I'm afraid the Near Perfect's hackle is not the best in this pic, it should be a light grey.

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #38 on: 19/01/2009 at 01:18 »
Lol we must of both been raking for the same thing , cheers anyway , thats the kind of thing i want to end up with  :z4
Just have to find some of that dun stuff  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #39 on: 19/01/2009 at 08:40 »

Just have to find some of that dun stuff  :wink

Baz

If you cant find hen hackles the right colour, use the inside feathers from the base of a Moorhen or coots wing, It'll give you the right kind of colour and be nice and soft too :z16

Incidently the picture mike posted was the lighter version of the waterhen bloa tied with the inside wing feather, If you are looking at the photos and the sparse bodies, its the traditional way to tie them, I suppose it depends what you are looking to imitate.The sparse bodies are primarily meant to be Upwings, which have translucent bodies. Midge are often quite tranluscent too, whereas Sedge and stonefly are solid colours and are dressed more heavily or with thread bodies.

I like the way you did the one in your picture, tied with lime or orange it should be very effective as a slow sinking midge pupa imitation with just a little kick about it :z16 I'd personally use a Starling back feather (nice iridescent green/purple/black) for the lime and i'd tie the orange with Golden plover (like the hares ear in the photo mike put up) or a dark greewells/cochybondhu hen (with nice light tips). I'd try to tie through the hackle like i did in the SBS it will lift the hackle out and make it kick :z16

Two of my favourites, from the last 2-3 years have been the partridge and peacock and the Black peacock and plover, they are great allrounders and seem to work on most waters i've tried at all times of the year, but particularly well just sub surface.

Link to original post on these flies   http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93.0

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #40 on: 19/01/2009 at 08:41 »
Great stuff Baz :z16

I couldn't find any decent pics of Stan's two best buzzers :z6 but the one below shows the Near Perfect Buzzer and the Blushing Buzzer.

Well you could call them buzzers, and St Headley obviously does, but once you put a hackle on it, I would say what you have is a spider on a bent hook.

But as Shakespeare said "What's in a name?"

Spizzers?  :grin

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 19/01/2009 at 08:56 »
Hi Irvine :z16

That's exactly what Baz can have fun exploring :cool: If he bases some new patterns on slim versions of his favourite buzzers and maybe Diawl back bodies, he can add a couple of turns of soft hen hackle and come up with some rather nice stillwater patterns of his own, that he should hopefully fish with confidence.

I guess that was what Stan did? Both those patterns outfished any buzzer pattern that I had used before :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Derek McLaren

« Reply #42 on: 19/01/2009 at 09:57 »
We used this years ago,should still work :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #43 on: 19/01/2009 at 10:38 »
I guess that was what Stan did? Both those patterns outfished any buzzer pattern that I had used before :wink

Yup.
That's because they are spiders :grin

Irvine

Derek McLaren

« Reply #44 on: 19/01/2009 at 11:23 »
bigtroots latest fish catcher

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com