Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Are Muddlers a thing of the Past?
« on: 14/01/2009 at 15:39 »
Just wondered if anyone still uses muddlers on a regular occassion?
If so, how have you been fishing them? / When have you been fishing them and on what line do you fish them on?

Just seen some Kate McLaren Muddlers and they looked awfy nice  :z16

chrisfisher

Re: Are Muddlers a thing of the Past?
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2009 at 16:23 »
Hi,

Occasionally, top dropper fly on a loch style cast particularly on the Hill loch's or as a waking pattern when big sedges are on the go in the summer evenings. Always got in the box, Wickham's, Bibio, Kates.

C

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2009 at 16:08 »
I still use "proper" muddlers and 'muddled' traditionals, would say the number of flies I use/tie with deer or elk hair has increased over the years, when I can be bothered  :oops

Due to it's properties I mainly use deer hair patterns 'on the top' in conjunction with a floating line, although I have used deer hair/muddler types on sinking lines see http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/patterns/dahlberg-diver/ for the type of thing I mean. However, success with that type of fly has been limited  :z8

capeldrae

« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2009 at 19:10 »
Yes I still use Muddlers. floating line and pulled through the surface when the trout are chasing sedges.
Also ginked up with a couple of buzzers on droppers, washing line method.
Lots of old patterns whilst out of fashion with fisherman, still attract the trout.
The diawl bach, how popular has that become, after along time out of favour, but has made a dramatic return to the fore I think is testoment to that.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com