Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ARF!!

carp on the fly rod
« on: 12/01/2009 at 00:00 »
hi chaps just thought i would shear this short vid of my first carp on the fly rod, its about 5lb, taken at cav dock barrow in furness best fun iv ever had ,the carp rod's are just about redundent now as i prefer to learn the art of fly fishing know,
 i have sinse had many bubble's the biggest being 13lb.4 oz , the quest now is for a 15lb,and i will get one its just a matter of time,and practice :z15.
i know it would of been better to stand but i had just had my foot completely crushed by a 10 tone fork lift truck.hens the big boot

Hamish Young

Re: carp on the fly rod
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2009 at 07:32 »
Very unusual  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2009 at 08:30 »
Well done!! :)

Known as "the golden bonefish" in parts of the States I can see this branch of fly fishing really taking off in the UK.

Thanks for sharing!

Derek McLaren

« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2009 at 10:37 »
hi chaps just thought i would shear this short vid of my first carp on the fly rod, its about 5lb, taken at cav dock barrow in furness best fun iv ever had ,the carp rod's are just about redundent now as i prefer to learn the art of fly fishing know,
 i have sinse had many bubble's the biggest being 13lb.4 oz , the quest now is for a 15lb,and i will get one its just a matter of time,and practice :z15.
i know it would of been better to stand but i had just had my foot completely crushed by a 10 tone fork lift truck.hens the big boot

What flies were you using to catch the carp?was that a floating line or a sink tip :?

looked good fun :z16

ARF!!

« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2009 at 23:12 »
the out fit, nothing fancy a 6/7 wait shakespeare pro, #7 wait forward floating line, 3m 8lb mono, size 6 micro barbed hook, and now for the fly or not, one floating rubber corn, useing the wait of the number 6 hook is just enough to give a nice slow sink to the bottom of the dock,then come the summer swap the corn for rubber dog biscuit  and have some good of the top fun,its the way forward :z16 and the most fun i have ever had when carp fishing :z15, HOLE OUT FIT 39.99

i don't rely have to wait until summer because the dock has a hot water inlet from the near by power station which when running  pumps water out at about 28 degrees,GOOD GOOD GOOD!!!

A MUST TRY

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2009 at 23:31 »
You really are tempting me!!!!!!!!!  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 13/01/2009 at 19:05 »
Rob,
       You'd be better off at Lac de Maison Bleu . Not on the fly granted but it's on now on Sky Sports Xtra,
54lb big enough !
 :cool:

ARF!!

« Reply #7 on: 13/01/2009 at 19:32 »
this is the new rod i am thinking of getting, has anybody got any thoughts on it perfomance.
 9’ Shakespeare Atlantis #8 rated rod…plenty of power to cast a big

deerhair fly and more importantly, plenty of poke to control an angry carp.

It is a saltwater rod really, and has a cork foregrip as well as a fighting butt,

which I personally find useful to hang on to when the carp decides to fight it

out under your feet.

ONE FOR THE RECORD 9LB

( Edit = resize photo to within the max forum size, which is 600 pixels wide )

ARF!!

« Reply #8 on: 13/01/2009 at 20:16 »
sorry if this is in the wrong place or if pic's and vids are not realy needed on the forum,
no offense taken if admin need to move the post :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 13/01/2009 at 21:26 »
Hi ARF,

very nice fish  :wink :z15- I've never caught a Carp - but then I've never fished for them.

I've a question to you and anyone else with a view.....it's regarding any rod with a cork foregrip.

I almost always place my left hand on the blank in this area when playing /tiring a fish as it just feels right for me BUT is the extra bulk of a fitted cork grip really necessary? an advantage or disadvantage?

just a thought.

Iain

ARF!!

Re: carp on the fly rod New
« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2009 at 22:16 »
Hi ARF,

very nice fish  :wink :z15- I've never caught a Carp - but then I've never fished for them.

I've a question to you and anyone else with a view.....it's regarding any rod with a cork foregrip.

I almost always place my left hand on the blank in this area when playing /tiring a fish as it just feels right for me BUT is the extra bulk of a fitted cork grip really necessary? an advantage or disadvantage?

just a thought.

Iain

Hi Iain. i also place my hand on the blank in the same area when playing the bigger of the fish i have caught to date, but only as a steady rather than a fighting grip. i have had a go with a rod that has a double grip and found no great disadvantage, but then again i am a complete novice :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com