Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: pitfour lake
« Reply #15 on: 12/01/2009 at 23:29 »
Got there in the end. Sorry Paul, SVC has nothing to do with what Andrew and myself are talking about.

Andrew buys his fish legally from certified sources, not from illegal imports from abroad which that PDF talks about.

We are on about the Aquaculture and Fisheries Bill that recently came into being...well..2007.

Unfortuantly, depending who you are, who you ask and where you are you get different answers to the same questions. The Scottish Carp Group has had written permission to stock Carp into several waters in 2008 and this year, no issues what so ever. I believe Fred at Glen of Rothes had no issues getting permission to stock carp, bream and Roach..although he did not go for the latter, yet Andrew says he is not allowed to stock Bream or Roach. Aboyne was stocked with more Ide and roach last year, no problems, and I know Golden Orfe where put into a water near Stirling to give the anglers some variety, legally. Conversly, a small club in Tayside was flatly refused permission to stock an old quarry that had no inlets or outlets.

Then we get into the issue of stocking Cheetah, Golden, Blue and Brook Trout or indeed Arctic Char. A Golden Trout is about as ornamental as they come, but it is my understanding that they can still be stocked. An Arctic Char is not native to North East Scotland, but a few fisheries stock them. So where does the line get drawn?

I think everyone agrees contols need to be in place, much like the Section 30 movement order in England and Wales, but it must be applied fairly to all applicants in the same manner.

Kevin Moss

« Reply #16 on: 13/01/2009 at 11:41 »
Whos Fred at the Glen of rothes?not met him but im going to keep a good look out for him.The Bill only came into effect in august 2008 and this is when it was started to be applied.I await to see its regulation  yet.No roach in the Glen as far as I know but the other coarse fish are fine with no trouble at all and those who have fished for them seem happy.Plus they are from a very reputable source and  have been there for over 7 years nearly now.with no problems at all. Yes we are regulated also with Sepa and Pitlochery.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #17 on: 13/01/2009 at 12:58 »
Hi Rob,
          So you are saying that permission is being denied to move fish which satisfy the requirements of the recent Aquaculture and Fisheries Bill  and which comply with the requirements of the Fish Diseases Act ? 

Why don't the fish movers not ask SEERAD why ?

Paul.

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 13/01/2009 at 13:14 »
Then we get into the issue of stocking Cheetah, Golden, Blue and Brook Trout or indeed Arctic Char. A Golden Trout is about as ornamental as they come, but it is my understanding that they can still be stocked. An Arctic Char is not native to North East Scotland, but a few fisheries stock them. So where does the line get drawn?

Don't wish this thread to get away from it's orginal topic (ie: what the situation is at Pitfour) but I think it might be prudent clear a few things up at this point. The 'Golden Trout' is just a particular strain of Rainbow, as is the 'Blue', so no surprises really when it comes to stocking them bearing in mind the 'source'. The Cheetah is something uncommon today, being the cross between a Rainbow and the Brook Trout. However, it is essentially a hybrid of two species that have been within the UK for over 200 years.

We shouldn't forget that none of the above are trout - they are all char or char derivatives (ie Salvelinus or Oncorhynchus, not Salmo). Although they are non-native species to these shores they have, to an extent, become synonymous with trout fishing in the UK. I would argue that part of the reason they are more readily accepted as suitable species for stocking is they are invariably bred sterile, negating the possibility of a self sustaining population - although it would appear that there are 'wild' populations of 'bows in Derbyshire, they are not 'new' populations having been around for comfortably 100+ years.

With coarse fish things are slightly more difficult as few of the species are bred sexless/triploidy (they're not commercially farmed for food in the UK) nor are there huge self sustaining populations of some of the species of smaller coarse fish once you get beyond the central belt, so their introduction is always going to be a wee bit political/sensetive. However, their introduction has in the main (IMHO) been moderately well supervised in Scotland and few people can find much fault in the decision making process.

The Arctic Char is indingenous to NE Scotland, depending on what you classify NE Scotland as  :wink If you count the waters north of Montrose, west to the Spey and then all the waters east of those lines (confused  ??? :z4) then at least 3 have natural populations of Arctic Char  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:31 »
The 'Golden Trout' is just a particular strain of Rainbow, 

Which was my point about Koi carp...they are just a colour variation of Common Carp...so why can commons be stocked and Kois not??

I know Loch Lee has Char..they make great Pike baits ;)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:39 »
Why are we talking about Carp when there are Broons like this in there?

sorry Rob

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:55 »
Iain

Rob usually speaks carp  :wink

Sandy :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:14 »
Oi oi!!!..lol

Thats a lovely Brown indeed.

I hope the place gets sorted soon. Would love to see it as a coarse fishery but with browns like that..well..i might change my mind :)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #23 on: 17/01/2009 at 16:00 »
Its a small world indeed , I was talking to a guy in Houston who turned out to be a pal of Alan Ritchie , he told me Pitfour had not been sold.

Mind you its a snip at the price , if I had the money I would buy it.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com