Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graeme Gauld

pitfour lake
« on: 06/01/2009 at 14:37 »
I believe that the estate has been sold, does anybody know whats going to happen to the fishing ??

Mike Barrio

Re: pitfour lake
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2009 at 14:53 »
I believe that the estate has been sold, does anybody know whats going to happen to the fishing ??

No idea "tango"

But Andrew is on here most days, so he should be able to keep you up to date :wink

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2009 at 23:48 »
No idea "tango"

But Andrew is on here most days, so he should be able to keep you up to date :wink

Cheers
Mike

Hmmm ...... no sign of Andrew tonight :roll

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2009 at 08:47 »
Any idea to who its been sold? I heard there was a lot of Japanese interest. Might mean the loss of the coarse fishing :(

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2009 at 11:50 »
Hi ,
       "Japanese interest" , maybe they'll stock it with Koi's ?  :z4

Check out the video at http://www.flymartonline.com/article333.html . Looks like fun.

Fly fishing for carp at Pitfour , who knows .... ?  has a certain ring to it .  :shock

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2009 at 13:09 »
Fly fishing for carp at Pitfour , who knows .... ?  has a certain ring to it .  :shock

You are about 7 years too late ;) I tried when the very first carp were put in..and most of them where indeed Koi. No joy but did spook one fish of about 2 pounds. I believe a few folk have tried since the more recent stockings.

I believe many of the "fancy" fish that went in all those years ago fell foul of the Ospreys and Otters.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2009 at 13:30 »
Why am I not surprised .

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 07/01/2009 at 16:26 »
Why am I not surprised .

Snap!

« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2009 at 22:59 »

Hi folks

the estate has not been sold as of yet, went to a closing date and no acceptable offers were made. The estate is still on the market.

No japanese interest to my knowledge (well did not show any around anyway). Would not get permission to stock with koi as not native to scotland and we feed in to the river. 

As for flyfishing at pitfour a couple we caught in the summer in the coarse fishery and a couple suspected in the main lake.  There has been many caught over the years in the main lake but since it became fly only and rainbows were added not many have been seen. The first carp stocked were in 1790's along with tench and perch.

Do to the uncertainity of what is happening at the moment we have not renewed our lease but may negociate with a new owner when the time comes so for the time being the fishery will be closed untill further notice.

hopefully it wont be closed for to long and we thank our customers from the last 3 years and hopefully will be back soon if new owners want to lease it back to us.

andrew

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2009 at 23:23 »
Andrew,
couple of things, if carp where stocked in the 1700's then you would have no issue with stocking koi carp under the new rules. Koi are exactly the same species as Common carp and so would be allowed to be stocked in a water thaqt had an established head of CArp.

I wonder if the rumour about the estate being sold came from where I heard the Jap info came from? Tackle shop in Aberdeen.

I hope all works out for you..although i have not managed to get up and fish i really hope you get the chance to develop the fishery the way you were hoping too in the future! Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: 10/01/2009 at 23:36 »
our original info from scot exec was we could stock commons, mirrors, crucians and ghost (koi cross) but not grass, koi or any other ornamental. new rules will only allow common and mirror to be added at pitfour, we were also no longer going to be able to add any more rudd, roach, bream, ide and one guy at scot parliment as they now are said we might have to remove some fish in particular rudd

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 11/01/2009 at 00:33 »
our original info from scot exec was we could stock commons, mirrors, crucians and ghost (koi cross) but not grass, koi or any other ornamental. new rules will only allow common and mirror to be added at pitfour, we were also no longer going to be able to add any more rudd, roach, bream, ide and one guy at scot parliment as they now are said we might have to remove some fish in particular rudd

Andrew,
I do not understand that at all. Both common and koi carp are the same, ie, Cyprinus carpio. The Koi is just a colour variation of a common carp. I can understand Grass Carp not being allowed. Koi are available in Scotland from Scottish produced stock so would pose no more threat than any common, morror or leather carp. Politics gone mad me thinks!!

Also, my understanding of the new rules is that they would not enforce the removal of fish that where stocked under the old rules.

This has come through discussions with the Scottish Federation of Coarse Anglers and the Scottish Carp Group. Needless to say both groups where very worried when the rules changed. What you are saying would mean that Magiscroft, Ochill, Kingennie, Aboyne, Glen of Rothes etc etc etc would have to destroy thousands and thousands of fish. As you know, a Rainbow is more of a threat to natural brown trout or salmon stocks than any roach or rudd.

Have you spoken with the SFCA? They maybe able to advise.

Paul Rankine

Re: pitfour lake- carp introductions
« Reply #12 on: 12/01/2009 at 16:07 »
Hi,
     This might explain some things regarding allowable fish movements.

http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/Uploads/Documents/SVC%20Leaflet-very%20latest!.pdf

Movement documents with guarantees of disease free stock are what are required not blanket statements.

Paul.

Edit = fix the link ( Cheers, Mike )

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 12/01/2009 at 16:10 »
That link does not go anywhere....

spencie

« Reply #14 on: 12/01/2009 at 17:03 »
That link does not go anywhere....

If you copy the whole link including the .pdf then past it in your browser it will work.

Stuart

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com