Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Somers
« on: 03/01/2009 at 21:11 »
I broke my Greys GTX reel Salmon fishing the Ythan at the back end of the season (my fault) I was loathe to put it in to Somers as I thought they would be to expensive to repair it (it cost £80 new)

I bit the bullte a couple of weeks ago and left it at Somers , they phoed before Chrismas to say it was fixed , Qeen Amadla picked it up today , cost for the repair £6.50 , well done Somers  :z16

:z18

Jim   

clark

Re: Somers
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2009 at 21:34 »
yeah davie (the owner) is a really great guy and always give a good deal, i broke the tip section of one of my rods in half due to a "car" accident  :z4 i thought i was gonna have to send it away for repairs but no davie took it in and fixed for me , it was ready for casting 3 days later and it only cost me a fiver!!
great repairs and experienced staff  :wink  :z16
clark

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2009 at 23:35 »
Hi All,
          Moral of this story .

Please support your local tackle shop.

Buying on the Internet seems very convenient and sometimes cheaper but you can't replace local knowledge  and they are close at hand if you are not happy .

And , we all like to have a local shop wherever that is , when the wife goes shopping so can we .

You know that you will miss it if it is goes .....

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 04/01/2009 at 18:40 »
Fairplay to Somers for fixing the reel at a good price, but as always charity starts at home!
If i can buy something online at a good price iam affraid thats the way i would tend to go!
I know what your saying about the shops dissapearing if you dont support them as this has happened in montrose!
But,
Majority of bargains and good deals tend to be on the net these days as most internet sellers have very small overheads.
Ebay is a mans best friend  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 04/01/2009 at 21:01 »
Yer nae wrang Baz  :wink E-Bay costs me a bloody fortune  :z4

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 06/01/2009 at 12:35 »
Hi Baz,
           Hear what your'e saying ,and I have been known to frequent E-bay and other
" internet sales outlets "  meesel , (God what an understatement that is !!  :oops) but I still try and support local shops too ,  :wink .

as this has happened in montrose!

Nuff said.

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 06/01/2009 at 12:39 »
I agree, hence me spending half my wages on ebay and the othe half in neils shop in Forfar  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2009 at 12:52 »
Aye Baz ,

hence me spending half my wages on ebay and the othe half in neils shop in Forfar

Oh, to be young and single !!!

:grin

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 06/01/2009 at 14:08 »
Far from it Paul, got a mortgage and a hungry missus who had to go and buy 2 dogs! Slowly but surely the fishing fund is getting smaller and smaller.
So looks like i wont be having kids anytime soon  :z4

Paul Rankine

« Reply #9 on: 06/01/2009 at 17:12 »
Well Baz ,
              All I can say is "the best laid plans ......" and all that .

Good plan to buy as much as you can now though !  :z4

Cheers,

Paul.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2009 at 21:49 »
I'm a bit divided on this one.
I think that having a decent local shop (which somers is) is a good thing and I do pop in regularly but the obvious diversity of choice via the numerous web stores is much greater and the ever increasing competition & clearance deals test the scruples of the most scrupled! Yes, I come from Hypocria.
I know for a fact that Somers has matched the best 'net' price on two mid value items for a friend which is a positive.
I also like to physically hold or try on certain products and this is not possible when buying online.

I would love to see the North East of Scotland housing a massive angling warehouse which can trade locally and more importantly compete online for nationwide business.............ah! if only

I see that Sportfish are selling Guideline Alpha rods for £25  -  I think I spent that on sweeties last weekend.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:04 »

I see that Sportfish are selling Guideline Alpha rods for £25  -  I think I spent that on sweeties last weekend.

Iain

ah if only i had a sweety jar like yours  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 07/01/2009 at 08:53 »
I would love to see the North East of Scotland housing a massive angling warehouse which can trade locally and more importantly compete online for nationwide business.............ah! if only

Devided on that one. A store I used to use in Brundall, Norfolk, was one of those traditional tackle shops in that you could go in, get a coffee, have a natter, buy a few bits and bobs and maybe play with a few items of tackle you liked the look of. These days its a "warehouse" style place, having joined up with 5 or 6 other shops in the area to enable bulk buying. Yeah its cheaper, but it also has no "soul"..or should it be sole ;) You walk in and it is a warehouse. There are rods and reels all over the place, bivvies, bedchairs, mountains of bait but all the little bits and bobs are gone..or only available in bulk. There is no "interaction" with customers as they are busy punting out "internet" deals and you now have to pay for your coffee  :shock..lol...and there is no one to natter too.

I hope thats not my only option in the future.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com