Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Plans for 2009?
« on: 01/01/2009 at 18:03 »
HI Guys

I was wondering if anyone has anything interesting planned for 2009 :z18

My plans involve revisiting my obsession with Cane (Not that kind of fetish :z4) ( Mind you i suppose its not far off :z7)
I've been gearing up to make my Bamboo fascination become something more tangible. The last time i explored it, we ended up with the Barrio range Flyrods and a couple of really nice Grass sticks for Me and Mr B :cool:
This time i'm exploring WHY bamboo, to me, its organic, it can be manipulated in a variety of ways to alter what it does, it looks fantastic when built properly, it casts without effort, and it feels amazing with a fish on, almost magical in fact, now i want to know what the masters of the Bamboo were trying to achieve in their own ways
I learned the ins and outs of stress curves and tapers last time, this time it's Heat treatments, splitting, shaping, gluing and binding as well as experimenting with different tapers.
It may not be everyones cup of tea, but there is something about cane which does something for me. Once i get a few types of action built up, i hope to have them ready for all to try.
So if you have ever wondered, are wondering now or really aren't wondering at all , then i hope to bring you the year of the Boo.

I hope it will build into another aspect of the rod world for me, the ability to make people a rod from scratch, to what ever specifications and requirements they have on an individual basis, using natural materials. This freedom and flexibility just doesn't exist in the rod world with any medium other than Bamboo.  Repairs to old rods will become more possible, as will making up any taper, a favorite?, a famous one you once cast? or just something you always wanted from the depths of some of the fantastic books written throughout history.
A whole new aspect to my world, and hopefully everyone else's too :wink

I also intend to be using them, A LOT :z16

So what are you planning :grin

Sandy

Iain Goolager

Re: Plans for 2009?
« Reply #1 on: 01/01/2009 at 20:14 »
Happy new year Sandy,

Mike was giving me the lowdown on where you are at and how you reached there in regards to your boo development.

I've never cast, let alone fished with a bamboo rod and look forward to - possibly - having a wee cast in the future.

I understand that if one were to become privately available then it would be very expensive?!?

Iain

Alex Burnett

Re: Plans for 2009? New
« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2009 at 20:56 »
Plans for 2009

Mmm  ???

Well my main plan is to find out how much (money/ begging)  :z14 it is going to cost me to get Advice / Help  :wink  :wink from the rod guru (Mr N)  :z16 on what I will need to, & how to go about building my DIY Christmas Present. :z4  :z4  :z4

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2009 at 10:48 »
Plans for 2009

Mmm  ???

Well my main plan is to find out how much (money/ begging)  :z14 it is going to cost me to get Advice / Help  :wink  :wink from the rod guru (Mr N)  :z16 on what I will need to, & how to go abot building my DIY Christmas Present. :z4  :z4  :z4

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Alex
:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Try asking :wink

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2009 at 10:54 »
Mind you thinking about that,
I really should take some picture the next time i build a rod,
We have the instructions written up, ready to upload to the main site, i just keep getting carried away when i build and forget to photograph the stages :z6

Then all the little tricks i've learned over the years is there for everyone, to benefit from :z16

Perhaps another good New years Resolution :z18

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2009 at 11:24 »
Good luck with the project Sandy. Are you going to make your own cane blanks now? I look forward to seeing how it develops.

As for my plans for 2009, they are the same as every year. Try to find more time to go fishing. But every years gets busier then the last and, so far, it hasn't happened. :z6 But one thing I will do this year is sort out my crap casting, that I am determined to do. :z16

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2009 at 11:26 »
Morning Sandy :z16

"The year of the Boo" ....... sounds good to me :wink

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2009 at 11:32 »
Good luck with the project Sandy. Are you going to make your own cane blanks now? I look forward to seeing how it develops.

I intend to produce a few "classics" first and then take it from there, but yes the idea is to create my own blanks/rods :z12
I've a few culms already drying out in the garage, for experimenting with :z7

And Lo he disappears into the depths, ne'er to been seen, lest waving a wand of grass.

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2009 at 12:53 »
You wont be needing/have time for the Fiat then.......  :z7

Intrigued to try that cane rod again, but can't see me becoming a convert to the 'boo  :wink But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the subtleties of the art of making one, must require extraordinary patience and, dare I say it, skill.
It won't be cane, but I may have a go at building a rod in '09 - almost certainly a double hander - if time allows :z2

Other than that, plans for '09 include more fishing, more fly tying and inevitably more gardening  :roll
Anyone know a good builder :? I have a loft conversion needing to be built :cool:

Ho hum  :grin

Hamish  :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 02/01/2009 at 17:35 »
You wont be needing/have time for the Fiat then.......  :z7

Funnily enough, having a car in a million bits, is exactly the driving force behind going fishing more and building more rods :z8
Go figure :z4

It provides a nice dry place to store culms :wink

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com