Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Re: Cape Town trip
« Reply #15 on: 13/01/2009 at 13:04 »
Hi Noel,
             Great stuff, thanks for that . Nothing Watten sized yet ! ?  :z4 Lovely wee troots .
Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #16 on: 13/01/2009 at 18:53 »
Hi Noel,
             Great stuff, thanks for that . Nothing Watten sized yet ! ?  :z4 Lovely wee troots .
Paul.

No Paul, a trout like that would be a serious monster in the cape streams. The club do stock a few dams with fingerling bows which grow to several lbs in a few years. Go like express trains apparently, but it was 2 far for a day trip. Maybe next time :z7. Never got to have a cast in the salt either, just didnt work out what with peoples xmas plans etc. Wanted to have a go myself but fishing alone in SA is a no no for safety reasons unfortunately :shock. Must say i was very impressed with the dedication and organisation of the few club members i met but then again thats prob why i as a tourist got to meet those particular guys. Roll on april.

paavo

« Reply #17 on: 13/01/2009 at 19:36 »
Fantastic surroundings, thanks for the photos.

//Harri

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 13/01/2009 at 20:32 »
Hi Noel,

Those pictures are just the thing to stir the loins at this time of year - very envious.

I've said before that pictures added to a post really enhance things .....well done.

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #19 on: 14/01/2009 at 12:40 »
Hi Noel,

Never got to have a cast in the salt either,
That's a shame . Never mind , now you,ve got a great excuse (would one were needed !) to go back. I hear the Swff is something else .
Is the trout fishing all small upland stream stuff or do they have bigger fly fishing rivers with trout in them ? I presume that they have lough ( :wink) fishing too.

Cheers for the noo,

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #20 on: 14/01/2009 at 19:02 »
Hi Noel,
           That's a shame . Never mind , now you,ve got a great excuse (would one were needed !) to go back. I hear the Swff is something else .
Is the trout fishing all small upland stream stuff or do they have bigger fly fishing rivers with trout in them ? I presume that they have lough ( :wink) fishing too.

Cheers for the noo,

Paul.

Will def be going back, planning it already :z4. SA is a huge place, we stay in Cape town as have free use of a place there. Had a beer with a guy who planned on taking me out on the salt but he couldnt get his boat out due to tidal conditions, never the less he was full of info. The salt water scene near cape town depends on sandbars, these can build up at the mouth of eastury's trapping predators inside, that come in to feed on baitfish etc.
This year there were huge floods a few months ago which blasted the sandbars and has screwed up the fishing. He reckoned the local guys were doing well to connect with .7 fish/day :shock
He had a sad tale to tell of commercial over fishing and dwindling stocks though. Four or five hours west of CPT the fishing is supposed to be much better. I had planned to go out with a guide in that region but we never made it up there, this time....
Its all small upland streams in the western cape yes. Not sure about loughs never heard mention of any ??? Lots and lots of reserviors everywhere and they all got fish in, mostly bass which i would love to try but thats a winter persuit there. I believe they fish the large reserviors loch style from boats and tubes, again a winter persuit. Lucky buggers can fish all year round in decent weather conditions.

If you want to go offshore deepsea stuff you can connect with some serious game fish, but thats not my scene at all.

stickleback

« Reply #21 on: 14/01/2009 at 21:51 »
Incredible scenery and cracking photographs.  You must have felt absolutely dwarfed by those mountains.  Wading in a mountain river in your shorts - the stuff dreams are made of.  You're a lucky bloke !!

:z18

Paul Rankine

« Reply #22 on: 20/01/2009 at 12:31 »
Cheers Noel,
                  Sounds like lots of new fishing adventures to look forward to !
Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com