Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Cape Town trip
« on: 23/12/2008 at 11:40 »
Greetings guys from sunny S Africa or Howzit brus :z4
Got here a few days ago for 3 weeks hols. Have been spending a bit of time on an excellent SA ff forum http://www.flytalk.co.za/ prior to coming here trying to make some fishing contacts, well yesterday it all paid off.
Was taken to fish a few beats on The Smalblaar owned and ran by  http://www.piscator.co.za/. Mountain stream about an hour and a half from cape town.
These were stocked many years ago with rainbows but have long been self sustaining c&r fisheries.
Typically found my camera to be dead as a dodo eventhough i checked it the night before :z8 so sadly no pics. Will make sure to take plenty the next time. 
Long story longer it was stunning, amazing and tough!!! High sticking nymphs in the runs, flicking nymphs upstream with maybe a foot or 2 flyline out, fishing pretty much always within a few meters and stumbling over huge smooth rocks into deep fast pools :z4 Crazy stuff and pretty steep learning curve for a typical drifting boat wet fly man like myself.
My fishing companion for the day was brilliant, very switched on experienced guy and his prime objective was to get me a decent fish. He even tied on my flys and sorted my tangles which kept him busy :z4
I quickly discovered these trout dont hook themselves, lightning fast responses required so that was a bit of a problem :oops
Ended the day with 2 small mouth bass, new species to me :cool: and 1 rainbow of about half lb for my mate. Unseasonal rain had coloured the water and apparently it was the toughest day my guide had seen on that water in 18 years. Sounds like he was making excuses for me but i did say he was a nice guy :z4
Couple more trips planned after i get this xmas stuff out of the way plus hopefully a day or two in the surf so pics and more will follow.
Merry xmas all.
Noel.

Paul Rankine

Re: Cape Town trip
« Reply #1 on: 23/12/2008 at 13:01 »
Merry Christmas Noel,
                             It's about 90 here too !  Get that camera working   :grin

:z18

Paul.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 23/12/2008 at 16:12 »
Grand stuff Noel  :z16 All the best when it comes.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 24/12/2008 at 11:41 »
Great stuff Noel :z16

Enjoy yerself ...... and yes, I'd love to see some photos too :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2009 at 12:28 »
Had a great morning on The Smalblarr today, the rainbows were looking up :grin Had about 10 on dries mostly Henrys game spiders so thanks Henry :z18, biggest 40cm which is as big as they get in these rivers apparently so i was delighted with that one. He took in fast water and straight over rapids into a deep pool below with me plunging after. Using very fine tippet in the crystal clear water so no palming the reel here :z4 Probably my best fish of the morning though was one we sighted in a very deep pool and my mate guided my nymphs into his feeding zone. It worked first time :cool: Lots of photos taken so will add some when i can. Prob not until i get home next weekend.
Hopefully i will get some salty critters to add also.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 03/01/2009 at 12:45 »
Hi Noel :cool:
Awesome! It is great fun reading about your adventures ..... as they happen :z16

Can't wait to see the photos
Best wishes
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2009 at 23:17 »
Hi Noel,
           Great stuff. There's nothing like good fishing abroad ,fantastic .

Well done .

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 12/01/2009 at 21:22 »
Here the pics, hope ye enjoy

Dawn on the Smalblaar

Success  :grin

Sun just coming onto the water, just like a whistle blowing for the fish i was told.

Check that clarity :z7

Lots more to come..

(edit = resize a photo to suit forum width. Cheers, Mike)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 12/01/2009 at 21:38 »
Hi Noel

Now that looks a place to be :z16

Fantastic surroundings, thought you might have caught something a bit bigger than the usual :z7

:z4 :z4

I look forward to seeing more when you get back :z12

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 12/01/2009 at 21:43 »
Well my mate was right, once the sun hit the water you just couldnt go wrong, nearly every run held a fish or two or three

A little beauty

Sun well up now and the warmth was welcome at first, within two hours i was starting to melt though

The best is yet to come..... :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 12/01/2009 at 21:44 »
Hi Noel

Cracking photos ...... keep them coming :z16

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 12/01/2009 at 22:03 »
I was fishing drys, my mate nymphs. We spotted a stonking fish of 2 or 3 lbs feeding deep in this pool

I tried him with the drys but he held deep, my mate offered me his nymphing rod and kept watch as i went upstream and across to get into a position where i could drift them down to him in the current. Just as i flicked them out he called that there were two fish feeding.
I let the nymphs swing down and across, lifted them when told by my spotter and

Ya you guessed it, the smaller fish
I was still quiet pleased though  :grin

His reel was set up right hand which caused a few moments of panic but all ended well.

Shortly after that i connected with the biggest fish of the morn, this time on a dry :grin.....

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 12/01/2009 at 22:27 »
No picture story this time....well actually there is, but quiet enough pics of my ugly mug for one night i reckon. Suffice to stay i was fishing 8x tippet and had been broken off earlier in a good fish so this guy was played out quiet a lot. Quick pic and back.

He was 39.5cm and a right angry beauty.
After this we fished on for another 20 mins or so, had a few more fish but to be honest i was sated. It had been a brilliant morning, well beyond my expectations for what i had read and heard about that river. One thing for sure is, i will be back inshallah.
Few pics of the Du Toitskloof mountains

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 12/01/2009 at 22:32 »
Awesome Noel ..... Thanks for posting them :z16

Love the scenery, a bit like some parts of northern Spain.

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

Re: Cape Town trip New
« Reply #14 on: 12/01/2009 at 22:35 »
Hi Noel

Now that looks a place to be :z16

Fantastic surroundings, thought you might have caught something a bit bigger than the usual :z7

I look forward to seeing more when you get back :z12

Sandy
Been back since saturday, took today off to assemble a replacement shed for the one that was blown all over Kintore the day after we left! Didnt go very well, the struggle continues tomorrow :cry
Would rather be at work, believe that or not :z7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com