Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Orvis Fishing Sale
« on: 23/12/2008 at 11:37 »
Orvis have started a sale on many items from the 2008 fishing tackle catalogue - 534 different items all reduced by 50%.

Includes Spey lines & some singlehanded lines, Zero Gravity rods, Silver Label waders, Western2 rods, Rocky Mountain Reels, Battenkill large arbour spey reels, fleeces and quite a lot more plus loads of flytying stuff.

Also 20% reduction on Rio Power Spey floating lines & Windcutter multi - tip Spey lines and selected sizes of Windcutter floaters.

I will do free postage for all Forum members too, store number is here

http://www.orvis.co.uk/intro.asp?dir_id=5976&subject=327

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

Re: Orvis Fishing Sale
« Reply #1 on: 23/12/2008 at 16:04 »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....strike off one 9 foot 5 weight Zero Gravity from the list...its now sitting in my tackle room  :oops

But that means I will have some gear up for sale..watch this space :)

ARF!!

« Reply #2 on: 30/12/2008 at 23:48 »
hello guy's im new on here (name is arthur) im from barrow in furness south cumbria. dont know if this is in the right place, but im desperate for some help, im new to fly fishing and have just got hold of a orvis western graphite 10ft, 3 3/4-oz, line weight 7. rod its an old one not the new number 2 ,and i dont know anything about it, is  there any body on here that mite be able to help me, track this rod down thanks.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 31/12/2008 at 00:05 »
Hi Arthur,

The rod is quite old but it has a huge following, its a nice rod .  One of the models for which there are now sadly no spares, if it is in good condition it would probably fetch quite a bit on ebay.

Cheers

Ben

ARF!!

« Reply #4 on: 31/12/2008 at 00:31 »
hi ben thanks for that m8, could you tell me if the rod is any good for distance and big'ish fish, im now fishing on a new fishery formed from an old trout fishery, it has now been turned over to a carp /trout water after118 year's of just trout fishing, there is still big trout in it, but the club as just realised the size of the carp in there, biggest so far 36 lb, hi have been getting them up to 13lb on a cheap fly rod combo set 40 pound the lot, so do you think the orvis is good enough for the job in hand,
the new western 2 is about 150 pound do not know about this one.   

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 31/12/2008 at 17:00 »
Hi Arthur

Welcome to the forum

Re: "could you tell me if the rod is any good for distance and big'ish fish" ......... being "new to fly fishing" I think you'll soon learn that there is no right answer to your question. We are all built differently and we all have different casting styles, one man's favourite fly rod is another man's disappointment :wink

Yes, that is a very nice fly rod and it will be great for what you are looking for ..... for most folk.
Will it be great for you? ..... You won't know this until you go out and try it for yourself!

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 01/01/2009 at 11:32 »
Aye aye...a 36 pound carp would lead you a very merry dance with that rod, but..it would not be impossible to land a fish of that size...but it will take you a while..and thats where the issue starts.

I do a lot of Pike fly fishing with fish upto just shy of 29 pounds so far and I use 9 and 10 weight 9 foot rods designed for salt water species. This means  i can land a large fish quickly thus returning the fish with a bit of fight left in it rather than spending ages playing the fish and having it struggle when returned.

Having said that, when fly fishing for carp it is very visual and you can target individual fish. Fish to mid doubles would be fine but when you start getting 20's then you might struggle to play them quickly.

Might be worth keeping the rod for trout and buying a heavier rod for the carp..something like the Shakespeare Atlantis comes in at £50 and is rated a 10 weight, or a Fox Elite Pike fly rod which is about £70 on the web. There is also e Ron Thompson MPX which is an 8/9 weight and a bit more fun to fish with at around £60.

Sounds fun though...can anyone fish the place as it sounds my kind of water :)

ARF!!

« Reply #7 on: 01/01/2009 at 23:51 »
hi chap's happy new year :z16
thanks for the reply's, i had 3 rod's out on the dock today to try, the western 7wt, a Nicolas Whipp 8/7wt and a Diawa whisker 8/7wt,the western felt a bit sloppy and the other two were more rigged, although they felt better in the hand the western put more line out, i met a chap on the dock who is a old hand at the fly, and he has kindly offerd to teach me a bit more about a balanced rod and line,  if i can get 15mt of line out then that will be one more than i am doing now,

Sounds fun though...can anyone fish the place as it sounds my kind of water Smiley

the dock is a closed club, but there is always a way of bending the rule's,

go on Google earth and search cavendish dock,it's very unique place, it's 154 acre's, 2 mile square, average 10 feet all over.about 70% salt water 30% fresh, there is a fresh water river in the north corner and a salt inlet on the west and south bank,an a warm water 28 degree inlet from the near by power station in the east corner, and it is an SSSI  site, not the best of location's in fact some say its a shit hole,about 5 and a half hour's from aberdeen. 

carp mirror/common
brown trout
mullet
tench
rud
chub
silver bream
flaty's
eel's

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2009 at 22:20 »
If there are carp that size then 5.5 hours is nowt!!..lol

ARF!!

« Reply #9 on: 05/01/2009 at 22:12 »
hi chaps,
iv just got this email back from fishtech@orvis, regarding the western rod i was given
Dear Arthur,

Thank you for your email

The rod you describe sounds like our Old Western 3Piece rod, which retailed at £300, this rod was discontinued in 2001.

We would not recommend using this rod for Carp fishing, this rod it really for fishing Stillwater & Rivers, catching trout etc

Best Regards

Kellie.

bit of a bargain i think's :grin

Paul Rankine

Re: Cavendish Dock
« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2009 at 12:55 »
Hi All,

If there are carp that size then 5.5 hours is nowt!!..lol

Looks very attractive Rob . Only 300 miles from Aberdeen too.

:wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2009 at 12:56 »
bit of a bargain i think's :grin

Ya think????.. :z4 :z4 :z4

I just bought the new version for £75 :) I love the Orvis sale!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 07/01/2009 at 10:55 »
There will be another 10% off all sale prices as of Saturday, should have some more Zero Gravity rods in by then.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 07/01/2009 at 11:02 »
There will be another 10% off all sale prices as of Saturday, should have some more Zero Gravity rods in by then.

Cheers

Ben

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!  :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com