Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Doyle

Re: Tracking
« Reply #30 on: 19/12/2008 at 12:09 »
Ok, I 'm sorry if I came over in such a way.  I will bow out of this thread and let those who are interested in it continue, good luck with it. :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #31 on: 19/12/2008 at 12:34 »
The way I see it, the more control you have of your cast, the greater your chance of catching fish, all other things being equal such as having some knowledge about how to catch a fish.  I am mainly interested in catching big river trout, sometimes presenting to such fish can be tricky and require something a bit more than a standard pick up & lay down at 30 feet.  Think about a situation where you need to present a dry across the stream, you have no space for a conventional back cast and cannot wade into a better position, the fish is 4lb plus and feeding hard.  Unless you have a few tricks up your sleeve you would not be able to present to it, I would be pissed if I found myself in such a situation hence I do a lot of work on my casting!

CHeers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #32 on: 19/12/2008 at 15:45 »
Every other thread or Topic is allowed a good old piss take so i cant see why you cant handle it in the casting topics!
Have a laugh please as its starting to sound like some casters dont have a sense of humour!
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
Ho ho ho  :z18

Magnus Angus

« Reply #33 on: 19/12/2008 at 15:52 »
Hi Ben

Sounds right to me. I've been of a few salt-water trips with guys who can't throw a line into the wind, can't place a fly accurately and can't deliver a fly quickly. In short they're on a complete bonefishing non-starter - their choice!

Quite honestly I don't see that any of this needs to be justified as a means to catch more fish - in particular I don't think anything about angling needs to be justified to other anglers. If you me or anyone else wants to work on casting or tying flies or make cane rods or learn to twist furled leaders or hand carve fly reels from briar wood or make our own hooks or build our own rods or make our own tying materials from what we shoot or rear our own peacocks.....so...... :z8 I don't give a damn - in fact more power to the elbows of those who want to dig a bit deeper, it's their hobby let them get on with it.

Magnus

Magnus Angus

« Reply #34 on: 19/12/2008 at 16:03 »
Hey - excuuuuse me - I thought I was having a good old piss-take by asking why they felt compelled etc etc.... :z6 What? You decide what's funny now too?

(All said in fun you understand)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #35 on: 19/12/2008 at 16:41 »
Well at least your last post made me have a wee laugh Magnus, anyway enough said i will stop now before it gets to tit for tat!

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: 19/12/2008 at 17:27 »
The none hauled cast was impressive, went a long way but..... remind me..... what was the outfit you were casting   :z7 :grin

For the record, they weren't my rods and I didn't break any of 'em  :z4

In less than ideal conditions, the best distance I achieved was 136ft with an Orvis Helios saltwater 9ft #10wt (I love that rod..... :cool:) matched to a pink Snowbee distance line which I think Ben said was 150ft long :?

Most interesting distance was 109ft with an Orvis Helios 9.5ft 6wt matched to a #6wt Barrio Mallard - but Ben managed 111ft  :z7

I also had the opportunity to play with a 9ft #6wt Helios, but was so smitten with the #10wt saltwater rod I didn't try to break it  :z7 :z7

I have work to do on the tracking and haul it seems, but I'm generally a quick learner :wink
Remains to be seen if I can undo 30-ish years of doing things the wrong way though.........  :shock

Hamish  :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com