« Reply #15 on: 18/12/2008 at 23:02 »
No sorry Magnus, I didn't get any videos from the judging end :z6

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

Re: Tracking
« Reply #16 on: 18/12/2008 at 23:07 »
Me neither  :z6  :z10

But I might have some other short footage of Lee and Paul in practice before the shootout, I'll check  :z17

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 18/12/2008 at 23:12 »
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1136.0

Might be worth a look at the videos on the last post  :z17

Alex Burnett

« Reply #18 on: 18/12/2008 at 23:53 »
:z4 :z4

Never really understood why casting threads have to deal with sarcasm (all in fun of course) about being casting threads.

Mike or Hamish - did you get any footage from the judging end of the Dunkeld shootout?

Just a point about tracking - Hamish describes it well for a straight-line cast. Good tracking for a spey or roll or.... might not seem to mean quite the same thing. I think the basics of good tracking start with the line path during back and forward casts and getting them at as near 180 to one another as possible. For my part I think tracking comes before haul - good tracking is one of the foundations of all forms of casting not just hauled casts.

Magnus

Cool :z12 Got it now Magnus, was a bit lost for a while, my ignorance,  ??? couldn't figure out what tracking was in relation to casting. :z6

Alex

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 19/12/2008 at 00:12 »
Never really understood why casting threads have to deal with sarcasm (all in fun of course) about being casting threads.

Yes ..... I don't understand that either :z3

Cool  Got it now Magnus, was a bit lost for a while, my ignorance,   couldn't figure out what tracking was in relation to casting.

Alex

I know that you are keen to come along to the Outcasts Alex and you raise a good point ....... For those that are interested, would it be a good idea if we tried to put together a "jargon buster" list for some of the more common terms?

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #20 on: 19/12/2008 at 00:14 »
Yes ..... I don't understand that either :z3

I know that you are keen to come along to the Outcasts Alex and you raise a good point ....... For those that are interested, would it be a good idea if we tried to put together a "jargon buster" list for some of the more common terms?

Cheers
Mike

Would certainly help me a bit, I get a bit lost with some of the TLD's (Three Letter Designators) & technical terms:oops

Alex

Magnus Angus

« Reply #21 on: 19/12/2008 at 01:41 »
Alex

If we use a term or initials you don't understand just ask. All sports, like most things we do, generate some shorthand and jargon terms, makes things easier to talk about but can make it seem a bit like a foreign language - you get used to it.

Mike
A casting glossary is a good idea - incidentally a glossary of fishing terms could be just as useful.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 19/12/2008 at 01:57 »
Hi Magnus

Sandy already started a good "glossary of fishing terms" thread ....... which is cool :z16

See http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=854.0

Would yourself, Ben, Paul, Peter, Hamish etc be willing to do something similar for casting? As you well know, I'm still getting to grips with some of the terminology myself and probably would not be the best person to try to put something like this together :wink A combined effort in a thread would be cool?

Cheers
Mike

Magnus Angus

« Reply #23 on: 19/12/2008 at 04:18 »
Hi Mike

I've been around groups trying to define casting terms - good way to lose friends. IMHO its best if we have a glossary and as terms come up, if there is any question about what's meant we clarify them and stick them in the bank.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 19/12/2008 at 08:53 »
It was interesting that Hamish mentioned the rod.

I find that you can build a rod in a way that optimises its ability to track in a straight line.
Now this is not saying the rod will improve your tracking, but if you have a rod that doesn't track straight, then even if you do it can throw out your accuracy.
This is not so big a deal when you get a fair bit of line out, as the momentum of the line will override any effect from the blank, however for close in work it can have quite an effect. Kicking the line away from the target :cry.

As for the Glossary, its a great idea, but this time i think we need to include small video clips of what we are explaining as it is very difficult to express in words many of the techniques and problems. A picture will give everyone something to work on. The outcast days also give people the opportunity to see what is being discussed directly, so are worth a trip :z18

As for casting threads, this section of the forum is called the "OUTCASTS" and is here for casting queries, so it doesn't interfere with those "who just want to fish" on the main Forum :z16

Sandy

Jim Doyle

« Reply #25 on: 19/12/2008 at 10:09 »
Sarcasm, if so it was not meant as such. Anyone who knows me will confirm that I take my fishing quite seriously, and I would hope am classed as a reasonably generous sort of person. I do like to have the odd laugh and am able to take the leg pulls as well as give them.  Right back at the start I pointed out the the big danger of going down the road of "casting" clubs ,groups or what ever title you want to give it, is that they become tied up (sorry for the pun) in their own existance.  Dont take me too seriously, you never know I may turn up at one of your days and shake out a few underhand speys and catapult casts, oh and dont take yourselves too seriously, its enjoyment after all . :z18  jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #26 on: 19/12/2008 at 10:56 »
Hamish,

Back to the original point, you do need to sort you tracking, it is not too bad on your FC it is the backcast that is screwing with things.  You did work on that on Monday and I was astonished by the results, the line was straightening at great distance and I would say you put at least 10 feet on your cast.  Your tracking was best when casting closed as would be expected but you were not getting the stroke length required for a long carry the BC stroke was too short and you were loosing it.  Look at the clip of Steffan floating about on SL just now in the distance casting thread, watch him for tracking he tracks probaly better than anyone else I know but it hurts my lower back to cast like that.  I think your haul is also messing with your tracking due to the time and angle of your haul.  You are pulling the rod off to the side at times as you are not hauling at 180 degrees to the rod, you are hauling against the butt ring rather than through it, this also reduces the effectiveness of the haul due to increased friction.

The none hauled cast was impressive, went a long way but..... remind me..... what was the outfit you were casting   :z7 :grin

I need to work on my FC, loosing 5 foot or more due to an annoying left curve  :mad

We will get out again soon

Cheers

Ben

Magnus Angus

« Reply #27 on: 19/12/2008 at 11:34 »
Hi Jim
I pointed out the the big danger of going down the road of "casting" clubs

Yeah you did write that - didn't understand that either :grin - seemed like an ignorant thing to say then, seems the same now. (All said in fun you understand  :z6)

Magnus

Jim Doyle

« Reply #28 on: 19/12/2008 at 11:44 »
Hi Jim
Yeah you did write that - didn't understand that either :grin - seemed like an ignorant thing to say then, seems the same now. (All said in fun you understand  :z6)

Magnus
  There are casters who dont fish, they only cast. Me I,ll stick with the fishing side of things and use the casting as a means to get a fly out to the fish. :wink :wink   (said in a light hearted way meant to cause offence to no one ) :grin :grin :grin

Magnus Angus

« Reply #29 on: 19/12/2008 at 11:59 »
Jim

Absolutely fine by me.
The bit I don't understand is why you feel compelled to "warn" other people about what they want to do, and why as someone who's not interested in the Outcast thing you feel some overwhelming need to contribute to threads which are clearly about casting.

Maybe some people may enjoy casting more than fishing - so what? Just as a few people may enjoy fly-tying more than fishing - again - so what?

Jim there are tons of things in this world which don't interest me and even some I think are dangerous - mostly I simply don't read those threads and feel no overwhelming need to let other people hear my opinion - mostly I leave that to fanatics, politicians and televangelists.

(All in fun you understand  :shock)

Magnus

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com