Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Tackle Tart or not
« on: 15/12/2008 at 19:50 »
This quote on another forum in a thread about the merits or otherwise of expensive tackle made me laugh  :z4 :z4

"Do I like using nice equipment? Hell yes, but anyone with a more expensive rod or reel than MINE is a pompous ass. Clear and simple. "

My humble  opinion is I do not belive that a £300 rod is twice as good as a £150 rod ,  nor will it catch you more fish , but if you can afford it and it makes you happy then why the hell not  :wink just don't let SWMBO find out  :cool:

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

Re: Tackle Tart or not
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2008 at 19:59 »
Hi Jim :z16

Yes, a bit like alloy wheels on a car really ........... :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #2 on: 15/12/2008 at 20:03 »
Hi Jim :z16

Yes, a bit like alloy wheels on a car really ........... :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike my Alloy Wheels don't catch FISH  :z4  :z4  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 15/12/2008 at 20:09 »
don't catch fish :z4  :z4  :z4

Yes, but similar principle applies, they probably won't get you from A to B any better than a set of bog standard car wheels ..... but they are nice to have! :wink

Cheers
Mike

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 16/12/2008 at 07:51 »
don't catch fish :z4  :z4  :z4

Yes, but similar principle applies, they probably won't get you from A to B any better than a set of bog standard car wheels ..... but they are nice to have! :wink

Cheers
Mike

hehe but a set of expensive high quality (expensive) wheels tend to be ALOT lighter than standard ones, meaning you are using less power to move the car and geting you from A to B quicker, but I spose you said better not faster :D  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 16/12/2008 at 08:40 »
meaning you are using less power to move the car and geting you from A to B quicker, but I spose you said better not faster :D  :z18

Psssst..its actually the unsprung weight that makes more of a difference..ie..the suspension is able to keep the tyres on the road surface better and thus allows more traction etc etc etc  ;) There is then the issue that alloys tend to be wider than standard wheels which means there is more rubber on the road and thus more rolling resistence which will actually slow the car down....sooooooo...the moral of the story is...

...the bigger the alloy, the smaller the manhood ;)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 16/12/2008 at 08:45 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #7 on: 16/12/2008 at 09:11 »
Psssst..its actually the unsprung weight that makes more of a difference..ie..the suspension is able to keep the tyres on the road surface better and thus allows more traction etc etc etc  ;) There is then the issue that alloys tend to be wider than standard wheels which means there is more rubber on the road and thus more rolling resistence which will actually slow the car down....sooooooo...the moral of the story is...

...the bigger the alloy, the smaller the manhood ;)

yes yes, totally agree, but I never said increasing the size of the wheel, as you said that increases the energy needed to turn the wheels resulting in a slower car and higher MPG figures, hense why I want smaller alloys on mine!!!

Alex Burnett

« Reply #8 on: 16/12/2008 at 09:35 »
yes yes, totally agree, but I never said increasing the size of the wheel, as you said that increases the energy needed to turn the wheels resulting in a slower car and higher MPG figures, hense why I want smaller alloys on mine!!!

Cameron

Rob meant width of tyre not diameter, more width more rubber on road. "never mind the quality or size it's the width that matter".  :z4  :z4  :z4

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #9 on: 16/12/2008 at 09:56 »
Cameron

Rob meant width of tyre not diameter, more width more rubber on road. "never mind the quality or size it's the width that matter".  :z4  :z4  :z4

oh right, well what I said is true also, and Rob is right a wider wheel gives you better grip/more friction which results in slower speeds but higher cornering speeds.  :z2

Jim Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 16/12/2008 at 10:18 »
In that case I,m taking the alloys off my fishing rods, might give them a faster action!!! :z13

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #11 on: 16/12/2008 at 10:47 »
In that case I,m taking the alloys off my fishing rods, might give them a faster action!!! :z13

I hear spinners work like a turbo on most cars lol

thought that was a very topical RUBBISH car mod? Spinners? yesh im so funny  :roll  :z7  :z4

Jim Doyle

« Reply #12 on: 16/12/2008 at 13:51 »
Strange , yes !  Funny well......maybe    :z7 :z7 :z7

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 16/12/2008 at 13:53 »
You guys need to get out a bit more  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 16/12/2008 at 13:56 »
You guys need to get out a bit more  :z4

I can't..I need new tyres!!..lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com