Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

Re: Flytying Evening @ Orvis Banchory
« Reply #30 on: 08/01/2009 at 12:44 »
What you doing this weekend? I was meant to be going down to the Earn "bugging" but it looks like that might be scuppered now thanks to a Polytunnel near Peterhead needing picked up!! I wish she would check with me first!

Anyway, that means I might have a day free to go Piking with the fly if you are interested..or indeed still go after the Grayling, but only for a day.

Either would be cool. Havent caught either on the fly. Going to the fly casting thing on sat so only free on Sunday. Would that stop grayling fishing? Would that be ok for you? if not a weekend soon?

soo many questions haha

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 08/01/2009 at 15:06 »
Sunday is probably better for me as I think saturday she is wanting to pick up the tunnel...bloody 12 foot by 24 foot!!!! I was going to go in past the casting on the way back if i had time.

Problem with Sunday is getting tickets for the grayling where i wanted to fish..but I know a very good bit on a river for very large Pike..but not on the fly. I guess it depends if you want to fly fish or use baits? I have not had a grayling on a fly yet either so thats why i was having a weekend away.

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 08/01/2009 at 16:08 »
A good night Barry, you missed yourself. As for buying ask Hamish.

Missed this post (thank you Mr B :z7)..... didn't buy much fly tying stuff, couple of useful swapsies on the night though.

However, it's just possible that I might have bought an Orvis rod, reel, line etc  :grin
It's also possible that it's 10ft, a 4 wt and a Helios  :cool:

OK - so I have bought a very nice toy indeed  :z12 Delivery in the next week or so  :z16

Just don't tell she who must be obeyed how much it all cost or I'm in line for having to crash at Bens for a bit  :shock  :lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 08/01/2009 at 17:57 »
OK - so I have bought a very nice toy indeed  :z12 Delivery in the next week or so  :z16

Its not the one i was waggling in the shop was it? If so, then see if Ben can get you another one...coz i have tainted it with bad luck!!!..lol

Hamish Young

« Reply #34 on: 08/01/2009 at 19:13 »
No, you're safe enough Rob it's yet to arrive at the shop - the Garioch curse hasn't landed on my rod  :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 08/01/2009 at 20:03 »
Many thanks for the kind words guys and thanks to all who attended, I will post pictures of the flies over the net few days.

I would be up for running another night, probably some time in Feb and probably aimed at pike and or saltwater stuff.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #36 on: 08/01/2009 at 20:12 »
Excellent stuff Ben :z16

It is great to have all these things going on at this time of year!

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #37 on: 09/01/2009 at 08:37 »
Further to Bens demo of tying the Klinkhammer, I was looking for photos to get the proportions correct and I came across this site http://www.danica.com/flytier/hklinken/klinkhamer_special.htm

This is the chap that developed the fly in the first place. His way of tying off is extremely easy and I was managing to do a 3 turn whip finish with 8/0 thread with no problems on a size 16. There is also a detailed history of the fly and a step by step. Bens method of tying in the peacock herl is much better though!!

Thought some of you may be interested.

Hamish Young

« Reply #38 on: 09/01/2009 at 08:49 »
Indeed, very useful link that Rob  :cool:
When Ben tied the 'klink' it was the first time I had seen a 'klink' being tied properly, can now see where I've been going awry all these years.......  :shock Will have a wee go myself tonight perhaps  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #39 on: 09/01/2009 at 09:02 »

When Ben tied the 'klink' it was the first time I had seen a 'klink' being tied properly, can now see where I've been going awry all these years.......  :shock

Totally agreed!! I always wound up the post and secured by creating a loop and passing the hackle tip through it and pulling down to lock. It was so fiddly and normally ended with the hackle springing off!

I have some very high quality hoffman hackles (black though and I know Ben said he did not like black) so will have a go at the weekend at tying some with the correct sized hackle instead of the monsters from last night!..lol

Irvine Ross

« Reply #40 on: 09/01/2009 at 09:53 »
When Ben tied the 'klink' it was the first time I had seen a 'klink' being tied properly, can now see where I've been going awry all these years

Blimey! I thought everyone tied Klinkhammers that way. I was lucky and caught the article in FFFT by Hans himself before I had tied any so I have always followed his step by step instructions. Ben's technique with the peacock herl was good. I got fed up with the peacock breaking so I started using peacock Glister instead. I doesn't appear to make any difference, the trout still take them.

Not sure I agree with Hans about the Klink floating on the surface tension and the hackle. Mine stay afloat because of the buoyancy of the Poly wing post.

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 09/01/2009 at 10:16 »
Previously, I had always finished my klinks off "at the head", so tying off on the post was an eye opener for me.
Tricky method at first, but my first efforts have gone ok :cool:

Might try some of that aero wing Ben was using, see if it's better than the dapping floss I currently use for the posts :z7

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #42 on: 09/01/2009 at 10:34 »
Might try some of that aero wing Ben was using, see if it's better than the dapping floss I currently use for the posts :z7

I use Polyyarn. I like the fact it compresses really well when doing the post and its not slippery so the waked thread really sticks to it well. I have some stuff that I believe is dapping floss repackaged and I tried that remembereing what you had said, but for me it did not produce a nice compressed post.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #43 on: 09/01/2009 at 11:07 »
I use Polyyarn. I like the fact it compresses really well when doing the post and its not slippery so the waked thread really sticks to it well. I have some stuff that I believe is dapping floss repackaged and I tried that remembereing what you had said, but for me it did not produce a nice compressed post.

I also use polyyarn, and ones finished, mess it up a bit as its pretty straight stuff.

I tied my klinks much like hamish but will give this way a go once my damn vice arrive, no sign of it yet..

p.s. Did you get my PM Rob?

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #44 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:38 »
Ben,

Any chance of a few pics of the flies you tied at the last night?

Im trying to remember a pattern you tied that fished just under the surface but my minds drawn a blank. Was it one of the spiders?

cheer
Cam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com