Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

Re: Flytying Evening @ Orvis Banchory
« Reply #15 on: 04/01/2009 at 22:12 »
will you just be demonstrating? or will we be tying along at the same time?

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 05/01/2009 at 21:56 »
Hi Cameron,

Ben has computer issues at the moment, but we've just had a blether on the 'phone about Wednesday night and I'm posting on his behalf :z16

This time, don't bring your gear along. More of a demonstration and a chance to discuss stuff, principally this is because it looks like the evening is quite well subscribed and seating/space will be at a premium. Assuming all goes well and enough interest, the evenings will progress into the demonstration/tutorial/tie your own type thing  :cool:

An idea I had, which Ben is happy to live with, is a material swap on the night. I have loads of odds and sods I'm never likely to use and duplicates or too much of some stuff which I'd be prepared to swap for other stuff (that I probably don't need, but what the hey :!) so if anyone else would like to indulge in a material swap on the night, bring along  :z3

The Orvis sale continues, there'll be some special offers on the night on materials and other gear for those attending  :wink

See you then  :grin

Hamish  :z3

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #17 on: 05/01/2009 at 22:15 »
cool cool just wondering, all sounds good

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #18 on: 07/01/2009 at 11:29 »
Remember its tonght folks :D

Really looking forward to this, saying hi to everyone etc

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #19 on: 07/01/2009 at 14:59 »
An idea I had, which Ben is happy to live with, is a material swap on the night. I have loads of odds and sods I'm never likely to use and duplicates or too much of some stuff which I'd be prepared to swap for other stuff (that I probably don't need, but what the hey :!) so if anyone else would like to indulge in a material swap on the night, bring along  :z3

So who is gonna swap me with the stuff I think i'll never use?

Wouldnt mind some Ostrich, PowerSilk. Some kooky Hooks maybe  :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #20 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:06 »
Well, how was it? Anyone buy any exciting bits and bobs? :z18

Peter McCallum

« Reply #21 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:18 »
A good night Barry, you missed yourself. As for buying ask Hamish.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #22 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:22 »
If i known you were going Peter i might of joined in, maybe next time!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #23 on: 08/01/2009 at 07:49 »
Aye was a great night. Did some choice material swaps with Mr Young and also treated myself to 2 very nice dubbing boxes.

A request to Ben tho, any chance you could post up Pics of the flies you ties. I can remember them just now but would be handy to have them for when I get round to tying some up.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 08/01/2009 at 08:32 »
Big thanks to Ben for his hospitality and the Balvenie ;). Unfortuantly I only got one nip as Hamish growled every time someone went near the bottle!

Was nice to know that the flies in my river box pretty much matched those tied, except for that Pink monstrosity!! Even I draw the line somewhere! ;)

Thanks again Ben.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #25 on: 08/01/2009 at 09:13 »
Yes indeed thanks to Ben for his hospitality and his time. I picked up more than a few interesting tips and it was nice to see Ben's variations on some patterns I have been tying.

I also came home with some nice feathers to add to my already over large collection. :z16

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 08/01/2009 at 10:46 »
Just to add my 2p - it was a very worthwhile evening with lots of ideas for new flies and tips on how to tie more common patterns 'properly' (for me anyway).

Lots of new dubbing materials to try so much so that I tied a few GRHE's last night (with the split thread dubbed thorax)- ok they were not as 'shop bought' as Bens but a 50% improvement on my usual ones.

Can't wait to try out the other flies & am looking forward to the next event.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #27 on: 08/01/2009 at 11:08 »
Can't wait to try out the other flies & am looking forward to the next event.

Get ya EP fires at the ready! ;) and some nice big hooks! None of those fiddly Klinks :)

Maybe I should try a size 8/0 Klinkhammer baitfish imitation!!!!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #28 on: 08/01/2009 at 12:11 »
Get ya EP fires at the ready! ;) and some nice big hooks! None of those fiddly Klinks :)

Maybe I should try a size 8/0 Klinkhammer baitfish imitation!!!!

got the Ep sorted and some larger hooks also. Bought for when your taking me out ff for the pike??? hehe  :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 08/01/2009 at 12:30 »
What you doing this weekend? I was meant to be going down to the Earn "bugging" but it looks like that might be scuppered now thanks to a Polytunnel near Peterhead needing picked up!! I wish she would check with me first!

Anyway, that means I might have a day free to go Piking with the fly if you are interested..or indeed still go after the Grayling, but only for a day.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com