Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Another angler is swept away?
« on: 05/12/2008 at 23:44 »
Hi folks :cool:

Just saw on the evening news that an angler has gone missing after being swept off rocks a few miles south of Aberdeen today. Apparently the coastguard have been searching for him since early this morning?

Not looking good :z6
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: Another angler is swept away?
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2008 at 11:27 »
More about this in today's P&J ......

Apparently the alarm was raised at 6.15am, when the Polish angler had fallen in to the water while fishing at Red Rock Cove.

Rescuers said that the longest that somebody could survive in the sea at this time of year was two to three hours.

Not looking good :z6
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2008 at 16:19 »
There was a fair swell yesterday , All the supply boats had to leave the ASCO base in Peterhead , its a hard lesson but it just shows how dangerous rock fishing is.

A few quid spent on a floatation suit could mean the difference between surviving or not.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Flotation_Suits_570.html

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2008 at 11:14 »
Unfortuantly i witnessed the rescue efforts. The air sea rescue helicopter was hovering above the sea and slowly moving north sideways along the shore whilst keeping his nose into the very very strong wind. Upmost respect to the pilot. The coastguard have to be praised as well as they where out in force. I believe they had no luck though :(

Have to admit, i do not wear a flotation suit when fishing that area with the fly, (never go in rough weather) but i will be using at least an auto life jacket in the summer.

This is perhaps a reminder that we are not all invincable and that even when fishing inland waters and rivers we should at least wear suspender style lifejackets. With so many tubers and river anglers deep wading you know it makes sense.

Stay safe guys

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com