Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Sooooo..Just what is "fly fishing"?
« on: 29/11/2008 at 17:21 »
In preperation for the Grayling fishing I hope to do this winter I have been doing lots of research on different tactics to catch one of these beasties on the fly (might as well make life difficult ;))

Anyway, one tactic I came across as used by the French National Team to amazing effect in international competitions is as follows:-

Take one rod, some 11 to 13 feet long with a softish action. To this add a fly reel, but with no fly line on it ( you can if you want, but as it never ever leaves the spool there is no point), just backing and a long length of 30 pound mono that is about 3 times the length of the rod, then create a tapered leader some 10-14 feet long. Add 3 heavy flies, grab the point fly and bend the rod, point it to where you want the flies to got and "catapult" the flies out into the river. Now, "high stick" the flies round and keep repeating until you catch.

The advantage is that as nylon is so much thinner than a fly line, drag can be kept to a minimum. I guess its like "extended" czech nymphing as the flie are much further away from you as they come round.

So, is this really fly fishing? Why not use a coarse float rod of 13 feet? Replace the fly reel with a fixed spool and you would be able to cast the flies out using 3lb line straight through. The tactics and flies would be identical, but the rod and reel would not be...but does that really matter? Infact, why use a reel? A pole with the flies directly below the tip would be far more effective.

I doubt I would get away with that in a fly cometition..so what defines "fly" fishing? Its not the flies, so is it the delivery method..ie..a fly line..but the French Team does not use a fly line...so is it the rod with a reel seat at the very bottom and reel which is just 3+ inches diameter of metal with no gears??

Theres one to ponder on :) Would be interested to hear your thoughts...

Jim Eddie

Re: Sooooo..Just what is "fly fishing"?
« Reply #1 on: 29/11/2008 at 18:29 »
Rob

Is that not what's know as "French Nymphing" ?

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

Re: Sooooo..Just what is "fly fishing"?
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2008 at 08:56 »
Ahhhh..right..thanks..did a few searches and yip..thats it!! Thanks

Question still remains though..what makes this fly fishing?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com