Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dee Snow Fly
« on: 21/11/2008 at 08:37 »
Hello all,

I wondered if anyone could help me verify the pattern of the Dee Dnow Fly? I have put a photo of a fly that I think is the Dee Snow Fly on my web site see this page

http://www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co.uk/corniehaugh_35.html

I have been given the dressing but it did not include the herl wing - does anyone have an example (Rob did you mention this as one of the flies you got from Somers) they could compare with it?

Yours in hope

Colin

Rob Brownfield

Re: Dee Snow Fly
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2008 at 19:51 »
Colin,
Not forgotten...but cannot find any of my Salmon flies (moved 5 times in 7 years so may have lost them)..but...some good news I hope.

I had a word with David Irvine of Drum last thrusday night over dinner (thanks giving meal with a local american celeb..lol) and he informed me that firstly, the Drum Lightening was created by his uncle and as the Castle is shut for the winter, he will go and get some photos and the diary which documents its development and first fish!

Better still, when the castle was put in trust, all Davids fathers tackle and guns where sold off, but not before photos where taken and items documented. Well, the fly chests where all photographed and the contents catalogued. He is going to dig out the documents and give me a copy for your website. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions. Also, the surgeon he sold the flies too lives in Aberdeen, he is going to try and get in touch with him to see if he still has the collection.

« Reply #2 on: 04/12/2008 at 15:30 »
Hi Rob,

That's great news, really looking forward to that, you mention chestS, now I'm getting more excited! I love all the stories about the development of flies and realy want to capture the Dee ones for the future generations. Sorry to hear about you flies... things like that have a habit of appearing when you are not looking for them!

Now about the reservoir.... I have tracked it down, (I didn't know for sure that it came from Drum - now you have confirmed it!) the Aberdeen Surgeon sold it a few years ago to a collector based in Surrey - I have contacted him and am hoping to visit and photo the collection in the new year.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2008 at 09:07 »
A pleasure...my partner should be seeing david on Sunday, I will get her to gently remind him :) Will let him know about the collection being sold off...cheers

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com