Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Which line today?
« on: 15/11/2008 at 18:21 »
If you had been going stillwater fly fishing today ...... which fly line would you have set up to start your day off with?

Floating - Intermediate - Sinking - Other?

Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Which line today?
« Reply #1 on: 15/11/2008 at 18:53 »
I did...for a few hours for Pike..and it was an Outbound Intermediate.  :z7 Two small fish  :cry

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 15/11/2008 at 18:54 »
Mike

Started off with a floater , then went on to an intermediate , then back to the floater  :wink

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2008 at 19:44 »
Hi guys

Yes, that's the way to go at this time of year Jim. It's amazing how many folk turn up at the fishery with only an intermediate "cause it's November" only to find that most of the fish on the day are caught on floaters :shock

Start the day with a floater, then change if required :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 15/11/2008 at 19:54 »
Was at golden loch today on the boat, http://www.goldenloch.co.uk/modules.php?set_albumName=album01&id=DSCN0004&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Started off with a Cortland blue intermediate
Moved onto a floater
Then onto a DI3 which got me my bag limit!

Moved around the depths a fair bit but got the right depth in the end! :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2008 at 22:42 »
Here is an interesting question :z3

We've had lengthy discussions in the past regarding the colour of floating fly lines and personally I've come to the conclusion that "The colour of a floating fly line is more important to the angler than it appears to be to the fish" :wink

So what about sub surface fly lines then? ...... Is colour important in your opinion?

Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2008 at 22:58 »
Not at all for me Mike , i dont have a clear intermediate and use the cortland blue instead.
Over the last week the cortland blue has accounted for more than 30 fish so i would not see that the blue line puts the fish off!  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 16/11/2008 at 11:44 »
I tend to agree that colour is irrelevant , fish see things differently from we do and with floating lines they are looking at the line against the sky , so regardless of colour its going to look like a dark shape.

Whether the fish regard this as a danger to them , who knows ? Having said that I perseonally don't like bright gawdy fly lines , prefering off white / cream. I read somewhere that this is generally the colour of the  belly's of fish eating birds, that is a personal preference though , I don't really believe colour makes a difference.   

Jim

Jim Doyle

« Reply #8 on: 16/11/2008 at 11:51 »
The colour of fish eating birds would I think be a warning to fish?  I used to use the old dark brown floaters but unfortunately these were discontinued , now I,m not as fussy, as long as it floats its fine. ps those dark brown ones were perfect for comps, fooled no end of anglers lol :z13 :z13

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 16/11/2008 at 14:37 »
The colour of fish eating birds would I think be a warning to fish?  I used to use the old dark brown floaters but unfortunately these were discontinued , now I,m not as fussy, as long as it floats its fine. ps those dark brown ones were perfect for comps, fooled no end of anglers lol :z13 :z13

I did say I did not think colour mattered , nature tends to use colour as camoflage , if fish were alarmed by the belly colour of fish eating birds , the birds would starve to death as they would not catch any fish  :wink   

Agian I don't think it matters , just my personal preference.

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 16/11/2008 at 19:33 »
I've never seen a brown floater :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 well not a pvc one.

I personally, would have problems picking up takes with a dark coloured line. As i would reckon 75% of all the fish i hook are line movement takes. The pale lines make this much easier against a water with lots of reflected trees.
I would imagine on a large water where there is a lot of reflected sky a dark line might be more useful for picking up takes.
Still, i too, think it makes little difference to the fish.
I know there is a school of thought that suggests the refractive properties of water bend some of the colour to form a halo of the colour around the line, but i'm a sceptic on this ???

Sandy

clark

« Reply #11 on: 16/11/2008 at 21:18 »
Well ive got a lime green line and the haddo fish didnt seem to mind yesterday. i had 14 fish including two fish in the 11-12lb range :z16
i go for more natural colours with sinking lines though  :cool:

clark

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com