Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

lostfly

The Fly Factory
« on: 12/11/2008 at 20:25 »
Have been searching the internet for flies and came across a company called the Fly Factory.
www.theflyfactory.co.uk

They have a massive range at what appears to be extremely good prices. However the Scotsman in me says that if they are that cheap are they any good. eg. hooks, materials etc.

Have any other members bought flies from this company in the past and can they recommend them?
Don't want to spend the dosh and recieve inferior goods.

If there are any other web sites that members frequently buy flies from I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

Barry Robertson

Re: The Fly Factory
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2008 at 20:47 »

Never heard of them to be honest!
Personally if i were you i would just get some from the shop in arbroath or even better go through to see Neil in forfar (Angus angling).
Just tell him where you are fishing and iam sure he will help you out with a nice selection of fish catching flies.
Failling that iam sure i could rustle you up some flies for the local fisheries round about this area!
I think to start with you are better buying face to face so you know what your buying and what the flies are representing and hopefully someone in a local shop can keep you right.
I dont think you would need to much to make a decent fly box.
Hope this helps :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2008 at 21:01 »
And where do they get their flies from.............................???????

Seriously most bought flies are tied in africa/Far East because the wages are ludicrously low so we can pay buttons for the flies we use. It's why nobody in this country could make a living out of tying fl;ies commercially.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2008 at 21:28 »
I guess their flies come from exactly where you were saying peter but for a novice starting off i thought it would be better knowing exactly what a cormorant , buzzer , damsel etc were for and hopefully the added bonus of buying from a shop to start with is that they might answer any questions that you might ask.
Do you think this is a good idea?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2008 at 21:50 »
No , I've never used them , I get most of my flies from here http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/ , good service and fast delivery . The guy is in Edinburgh.
Mike has a good selection of Fulling Mill flies at Haddo , they are IMHO the best quality you can buy.

:z18

Jim

Jim Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2008 at 22:17 »
Why not tie your own?  Neil is running classes in Forfar on a monday night.  If you want some very basic stuff to get you started I will happily show you how to get going.  Barry will have a spare vice shortly , mind you its in more bits than it should be  :shock :shock  If you want to start pm me .  jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2008 at 22:29 »
Why not tie your own?  Neil is running classes in Forfar on a monday night.  If you want some very basic stuff to get you started I will happily show you how to get going.  Barry will have a spare vice shortly , mind you its in more bits than it should be  :shock :shock  If you want to start pm me .  jim

Its now fixed jim!  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 12/11/2008 at 22:39 »
Whatever you do ...... don't buy the "100 stillwater flies for £20" type packs :z4 I have had folk turn up at the fishery with some of these and asked me to pick half a dozen that would do well on the loch. I have actually gone through a few of these packs and failed to find one fly that I would use myself :shock

Tip :z17 ...... Ask if somebody from on here would be willing to meet up with you at Forfar and help you to choose a selection from the shop stock.

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2008 at 23:06 »
really depends on what you are fishing for and where you are going lostfly. If you are fishing small stillwaters you may need different flies to those for brownies in rivers for example. Can you be more specific.

lostfly

« Reply #9 on: 13/11/2008 at 09:19 »
Gents, thanks for the advice. Most appreciated.

For the time being I intend to stick to stillwater / pond fishing until such times that I feel confident enough in producing a consistent casting technique.
As bigtroot says knowing what each type of fly is meant to simulate and how to fish it makes me feel a wee time spent doing some home work on this subject will be of great benefit.
Also I think a trip to the Forfar angling shop may well be on the cards.
Have to admit that my next post was more than likely to be that of fly tying (where to begin, tuition, etc).

PS. Bigtroot, should hopefull be at the pond tomorrow morning depending on how I feel after the nightshift.

Andy

Graham Strachan

« Reply #10 on: 13/11/2008 at 09:29 »
I recently bought some salmon doubles from the fly factory and they seem to be decent enough, hook quality seems fine and they have been tied well.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 13/11/2008 at 12:38 »
Gents, thanks for the advice. Most appreciated.

For the time being I intend to stick to stillwater / pond fishing until such times that I feel confident enough in producing a consistent casting technique.
As bigtroot says knowing what each type of fly is meant to simulate and how to fish it makes me feel a wee time spent doing some home work on this subject will be of great benefit.
Also I think a trip to the Forfar angling shop may well be on the cards.
Have to admit that my next post was more than likely to be that of fly tying (where to begin, tuition, etc).

PS. Bigtroot, should hopefull be at the pond tomorrow morning depending on how I feel after the nightshift.

Andy

I will be there all day tomorrow so will see you there!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com