Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Winter maintenance
« on: 11/11/2008 at 17:45 »
Having listenend to a few people recently, it struck me that we all could do with some winter maintenance :z7

So some wee tips to help with this , as prevention is better than cure :z16

After a days fishing if you remove your rod from the bag/tube when you get home and allow the cork to dry fully, before storing till the next trip, you can prolong the life of the handle by many years.
Unfortunatley the best cork in the world will rot if left in a damp bag.

Cleaning a flyline regularly with warm water and then treating it with a designated product such as Line slick can help a line to last many times longer, it also improves its floatability and castability  :z16 ( Washing up liquid isn't that good for flyline coatings and neither are silicon based cleaning products, best to use warm water and a line cleaning/slicking agent)

Regularly lubricating the mechanisms inside a fly reel will also prolong its life and make it work better, nothing worse than a reel seizing just as a good fish wants some line :shock. If you have cork based or sealed drags then just rinse them to remove any grime/sand etc that can cause problems.

Flies, i own flyboxes that have seals to make them waterproof, great for when you drop them in the river :z6. however after a days fishing you have to open the box up to let the flies dry out, as they seal in the moisture from damp flies as well as they keep the river out :wink This will stop hooks from corroding and materials from rotting, which they do :z6

Winter is a good time to sort out the leaks on waders too. Once i get past patch repairs i get a bit lost here so hopefully some of you have some good tips for this :z16.

Anyone got any others

Sandy

Graham Strachan

Re: Winter maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2008 at 20:53 »
A good tip if your flies are looking a bit bedraggled is to hold them in the steam of a boiling kettle and they spring back to life in seconds!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2008 at 21:18 »
Great post Sandy :z16

Yes, drying your fishing tackle will help it to last so much longer. Just a good wipe with a dry cloth when you get home and leave it out for a few hours to dry before packing it away again :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/11/2008 at 08:52 »
If you store your tackle in a garage or outbuilding..then try to keep clothing, waders and rods off the floor. I have had a few handles nibbled and jackets ruined by my friendly mice!

But, the best tip of all is to keep using your gear and not hang it up over witner :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com