Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

roy

advice on reel repair please
« on: 09/11/2008 at 17:22 »
Hi all, I am new here and have never fly fished, although, I would like to make it one of the 40 things we all (So 'They say') want to do before that day comes.
I would like to ask you Gentlemen/Ladies a question if I may.
Has anyone had to have wear repaired on a steel centrepin reel? My photo's show the reel.   On the face (Handle) plate there is a brass guide pin which protrudes in a half circle shape from the centre hole.which slots into a groove on the main section. The faceplate when seated correctly is screwed onto the main section.  There is wear on the main section where the groove to take this pin has worn wider, giving slight play when the screw is not tightened down. The section which has wear is brass.
The question is:  Can the wear be repaired?  How?  And who to ask?. Any ideas re: Cost? 
The reel is an old Charles Playfair (Aberdeen) Salmon reel made in approx. 1930's to - supposedly - rival the Hardy duplicated MKII reel. It is 4 1/4in Diameter. 12oz weight.
The parts I mention are pictured below:

Any advice you may be able to give me would be welcomed. Thank you all. Roy.

Rob Brownfield

Re: advice on reel repair please
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2008 at 08:59 »
The only thing I can suggest is to try one of the engineering firms in aberdeen. They should be able to make a new bit for you without to much problem.

Another option which may work is to use a form of "chemical metal" as used to repair crank cases etc. I use some to repair a hold crankcase in a motorbike. Basically a two part epoxy that you mix, you mould it to shape, it heats up and chemically bonds and hardens to the metal below. you can then drill, file or macine it to shape.

roy

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2008 at 10:45 »
Rob.

The epoxy solution may well be the first thing to try as it certainly would be the easiest method if it works, I can then feel good having repaired it myself!
I thank you my friend for the very good advice.
All the best,
Roy.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2008 at 11:56 »
I hope it works for you.

The stuff I used was bought from Halfords...comes as two "sticks" that are individually wrapped. You cut off what you want, mix the two putties together, which start to heat up, and then you apply. sorted :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com