Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Gyrodactlyus
« on: 06/11/2008 at 16:48 »
Hi,
    Came across this sobering video on what the Norwegians had to do.  :shock :shock :shock

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Fisheries

If it ever came here , I wonder if we could provide such a co-ordinated (and succesful ) response.

Do you think we might have trouble getting the measures past SNH ( totally against their remit ) and others.

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Gyrodactlyus
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2008 at 16:54 »
I spoke to some of the Norwegian anglers about this when i was there earlier this year.
It is a very depressing thing when it happens.

We can only hope we don't have to  :z10

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2008 at 17:17 »
Does Gyrodacriyus only attack Salmon? Whay about Trout and Sea Trout or other indiginous fish such as Bullheads, Minnows, Sticklebacks and dare i say it on some of the more southern rivers, Roach, Chub, Pike and Perch?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 07/11/2008 at 06:48 »
Rob

Trout can carry it  but have a resitence, it is not fatal to Salmon per se, its the smolts that it has a devestating effect on , no smolts equal no more Salmon.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao2004/62/d062p103.pdf

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 07/11/2008 at 09:05 »
Thanks for that Jim

I have a question then for everyone. Can the destruction of an entire river be justified to save one species of fish? I know this is a very emotive subject, but the use of rotenone to wipe out every living fish in a river catchment, and all the associated birds and animals that rely on the river for food is surely not the right thing to do?

Lets just say the Dee..and I hope to god it does not happen, gets infected. There are animals, birds and fish in that river that are protected by law. There are also commercial enterprises along that river that would also be effected such as Raemoir, Strachan, Glentanar, Loiriston lochs etc etc etc, and water extraction for distilleries, drinking water and bottled water.

I did a quick bit of reading on the waters that have been "killed" in Norway, and from the limited info available, it seems that these rivers where short, remote(ish) and had little in the way of farming, population or commercial enterprises nearby.

Obviously my views are very environmentally biased..living as i do with an environmental scientist, and although I believe that Salmon should be protected, I do not believe they should come any higher than other animals, fish or creatures. Fish genocide maybe....

Interested to hear other folks views.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 07/11/2008 at 12:34 »
Hi,
     Rob , glad you picked up on that.  That's why I mentioned SNH . Both SEPA and SNH would have to give their consents for a host eradication strategy.They might not ,in which case it would be up to the Scottish Govt. ministers to decide what is the best course of action which might mean over-ruling these bodies , or might include leaving the salmon population to die out and isolating the river system to prevent disease transfer. 

Decisions would be governed by individual ecosystem considerations.

The SG Gs Contigency Plan is interesting reading . :cry

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 08/11/2008 at 08:35 »
mmm... how the hell do you stop the spread of the buggers given mother natures skill in beating all our feeble efforts to defy her? :roll

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 08/11/2008 at 08:51 »
Peter

Its easy , dont let it get here in the fisrt place , ban the import of live fish and eggs. Live fish are already banned from non EC countries.

If it did ever get into our rivers sysem we would be fecked, even the severe measures taken in Norway (which have still failed to eradicate G Salaris in some rivers) would be imparctical in our rivers.

Would we want to sacrifice all the trout in the Don to save the Salmon ?

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2008 at 14:59 »

Would we want to sacrifice all the trout in the Don to save the Salmon ?

Now there's a topic to debate :shock

Sandy

Irvine Ross

Re:
« Reply #9 on: 08/11/2008 at 16:27 »
Its not just the wild brown trout fishing that would be at risk if Gyrodactlyus got into this country. As Rainbow trout are also infected by the parasite, I suspect that the first thing to be imposed would be a ban on the movement of Rainbow trout around the country. If I am right, that would put an end to stocked trout fisheries as we know them. :cry

Irvine

Ron Bain

« Reply #10 on: 10/11/2008 at 12:31 »
nothing these numpties in Edinburgh did  would surprise and that's not politics it's observation of past record

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 10/11/2008 at 12:42 »
Hi Irvine,
             Maybe not all around the country to begin with but certainly in affected areas.

Pete, yes I agree. The only way really is to stop it getting here in the first place. As far as I am led to believe the transfer of all live fish and eggs , (not just salmon) , is being strictly controlled in Norway as trout and coarse fish can act as carriers . I know that live smolt transfer to Scottish salmon farms ,( probably the most likely route) , has been curtailed for a few years now so the numpties sometimes get some things right !

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com