Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Most enjoyable this season?
« on: 03/11/2008 at 18:21 »
Hi folks :cool:

What was your most enjoyable day's fishing this season?

I think mine was probably our trip down to Lintrathen which was a great day out, although the day that "The 3 amigos" explored the River Tummel was also a lot of fun :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Most enjoyable this season?
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2008 at 21:07 »
Mike

Hard to pick one day, I had several good days.

Having the vicarious pleasure of introducing a mate to Loch Beannie , going back to Rescobie having last fished there with my Old man over 40 years ago. The day out to Lintrathen was great ( this now has to be an annual event)  Float-tube days at Haddo. Landing some back end Salmon  :cool:  Trying SWFF for the 1st time , even though I only caught 1/2 a dozen podllies  :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15   

This Sundays Outcasts first meet  :wink

:z18

Jim

Alex Burnett

« Reply #2 on: 03/11/2008 at 21:54 »
Hi Mike

Had some pretty memorable days at Haddo this year but guess mine would have to be my first WILD double figure & several smaller Browns from the South Esk at Longford in Tasmania, to be honest it is going to take something very special to top that day for me. :z12  :z15

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 03/11/2008 at 23:28 »
Most enjoyable days fishing?

It's been a very subdued season, uncharacteristically so, with one thing and another.

Not one Sea-trout outing, no tail end Salmon fishing, not one visit to Alford, only one visit to Inverurie, no Rescobie....and so it continues, but there have been a few memorable firsts and the prospect of throwing the fly at new species & Tubing new venues next season is an exciting one.

So I think my season has been more about the realisation of what makes for an enjoyable days fishing, namely fishing a River/ Loch, for wild fish with no time constraints in fair weather & good company.

Find of the season? the Float Tube - never had a bad outing in one yet!

Roll on the Grayling trip - then next year.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2008 at 08:33 »
Afloat on Menteith chucking budgies to the horizon and hitting big fish that where putting big bends in the rods :)

ps. The Menteith Rainbow record was beaten at the weekend to a Pike angler...just over 21 pounds!!

Graham Strachan

« Reply #5 on: 04/11/2008 at 08:56 »
Well it has been a quiet year for me too, had a few good days at Stracathro on the North Esk but missed out on a salmon from the smaller rivers which was disappointing, my cousin had a cracking 12lber from the Luther in the last week (pic on the LDAA website) but im sure it must have had my name on it!
Probably the most memorable fishing was when i was offshore in Angola on an FPSO for a few weeks recently and we were hand-lining for big yellow fin tuna and dorado off the side of the vessel, iv never had so much fun!
The "tackle" (and i use that word loosely!) consisted of a mile of strimmer line tied onto the handrail, a wire trace, a piece of flattened stainless steel pipe with a large treble for a lure and kevlar gloves!
Casting techniques were varied (no double spey casting here!) but i found a run up and a couple of swings got the lure out far enough then retrieving it like a man possessed to keep it skating on the surface was most effective. It was amazing to see these things come bombing up out of the depths and slamming into the lure then the fight was on! Landing the catch was a fair team operation since we were still about 50 feet above the water but a large landing net was made available (i mean large as you could have fitted a mini metro into it) which was lowered down on a rope then hauled back up, sounds easy but with 30-40lbs of angry tuna in and 38C heat it it was bloody tiring! We had the catch up to the galley in a few minutes so by the time we had washed up the chef had done his bit and everyone was sitting down to the freshest tuna you could find, a truly memorable trip!
I had some cracking photos but the Angolan airport "security" decided to lighten my bag on the way home and cut the padlocks off my my bag and nick my digi camera, the thieving b`stards!  :mad
Anyway, heading back out in April so roll on the `09 season!  :grin

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 04/11/2008 at 09:46 »
There have been many memorable occasions this season for me......which had many firsts achieved....as it is really my first full season.....

In memorable order......

1.  Catching fish on a home tied flies. :z16
2.  Catching wild trout on the Don on the dry fly.
3.  Learning to Spey cast.
4.  Starting to tie all my own flies.

Most satisfying trips included any day at Haddo really.....and every summer evening I managed to be on the Don.  Some day's brought more fish than others, but every day had something memorable...........like hooking a sea trout on a 3wt rod......and losing it (inevitably).  Accidentally lifting into a take which was actually at otter, no damage done luckily.....just popped it's head up an arms length and looked at me as if I was stupid...

Next season....I hope to:

1.  Catch a Salmon on the fly! :z6
2.  River fly fish somewhere in France or Spain for wild brownies........ :grin

Looking forward to winter activities now including Outcasts, Mastrick fly tying and the Haddo winter league...

Cheers,

Steven

garry john

« Reply #7 on: 04/11/2008 at 11:45 »
my most enjoyable time has 2 be when i caught a 12lb rainbow at lochter. what a fight, its in my pic. i also really enjoyed my 1st trip 2 haddo a few sundays ago. caught 1 of your blues :grin beautiful fish, and all the fish i seen were in excellent condition. good fun rowing the boats 2. cant wait 2 try float tubing if u can sort me out mike? looks brill!! goal 4 next year has 2 b a salmon on the fly, heard its not easy tho?

Garry

stickleback

« Reply #8 on: 04/11/2008 at 18:32 »
June on a Sutherland mountain loch in the worst fishing conditions I've ever experienced - torrential rain, cold, and howling gale, and still catching lots of feisty half pound brownies.  I was there with several others, a couple of whom were in their late 70's and one of whom had a new hip and they still hauled themselves up the mountain - fantastic craik and absolute characters and I hope I have their zest for life if I reach that age.  Long may their lums reek  :z16

July on the Don at Kinnaldie - hooking a cracking sea trout, watching it perform a bit of arial acrobatics, then losing it in the weed.  A bit of a bummer, but those few seconds when it was on and my reel was screaming were a joy and are still crystal clear in my memory.

September on the Spey at Knockando - landing a 5lb silver grilse on my first cast of the day (never touched another thing all day but who cares !!)

October spinning with the kids off a pier in Florida -frenetic sport in lovely weather with lady fish and psychopathic Spannish mackarel (if you saw their teeth you'd understand).

Cammy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 04/11/2008 at 19:26 »
My best day out this year was down to carron valley reservoir, a briliant setting for fishing and a nice big water to explore with the added bonus of having some nice resident browns!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 04/11/2008 at 19:32 »
Mike

Hard to pick one day, I had several good days.

Having the vicarious pleasure of introducing a mate to Loch Beannie , going back to Rescobie having last fished there with my Old man over 40 years ago. The day out to Lintrathen was great ( this now has to be an annual event)  Float-tube days at Haddo. Landing some back end Salmon  :cool:  Trying SWFF for the 1st time , even though I only caught 1/2 a dozen podllies  :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15   

This Sundays Outcasts first meet  :wink

Jim

I will second that on the annual event Jim, cant wait to get back there next Year!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 04/11/2008 at 22:17 »
Probably the most memorable fishing was when i was offshore in Angola on an FPSO for a few weeks recently and we were hand-lining for big yellow fin tuna and dorado off the side of the vessel, iv never had so much fun!
That sounds awesome :cool: and something pretty unique i imagine.
Had some great days myself including a mad day of 100+ eager wild brownies to the boat between two of us on mull.
A personal best hard fighting wild brownie/rocket on Corrib during the mayfly.
Finally catching a decent (about 1lb)brownie on the don after two years of trying :grin
Best is there may be more interesting days before the year is out as heading to south africa in dec :z16
Noel

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 14/11/2008 at 01:48 »
  Pretty quiet season for myself also this year!  Missed out on what seemed like every half decent spate on the cowie and carron (just the one sea trout)

Had the most frustrating last 3 days of the season at Middle Drum on the dee with the beat litterally stuffed with fish (2 over the 30lb mark spotted) with only one half hearted pull, none the less great to see so many fish in the Dee system :z18

But my Most memorable day well two consecutive days had two be loading up my dads old 110 landie, heading down to loch shandra for a day of fast and furious brownie fishing from the boat and bank, camping out then taking a short trip down the road to Lintrathen :z4 It has now been decided to be a yearly event as so much fun was had as with our jobs it is difficult finding time to venture out together these days. :z15 :z15 :z15

acercon3

« Reply #13 on: 14/11/2008 at 09:19 »
Being as this was my first season back to the sport after a 20 yr break almost everything I did gave me a thrill.
My first day at Haddo and a very modest 2 bows,2 cracking seatrout off a Sutherland beach and a short contact with a 'silver tourist' on the Deveron in October have whetted my appetite for 2009.
Biggest thrill of the year was on a sandy Florida beach where my light spinning gear was severly tested one afternoon when I hooked what appeared to be something substantial.All hell broke loose for sometime and a spooling was very much on the cards. However I managed to pump my quarry ashore eventually to find  disappointingly that I had an Eagle Ray by the tail ! Ignoring the end result the battle was a real buzz.

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #14 on: 16/11/2008 at 15:12 »
This is a tough one for me.  It was my first season in Norway and there were a few firsts achieved but for most enjoyable there are a couple of days that stick in my mind.  The first is a day I was fishing some lochs and it wasn't the fish I caught, even though they were great fighters but the fish I saw.  When coming down off the hills I followed a small stream and at the base of a small falls spotted a couple of fish in the 1-2lb class.  this stream is on 5-6ft across and it was amazing to see fish of that size in it.  The rest of the way down I just spent spotting and spooking fishing without wanting to cast to them.

The second was another small stream that I have taken to fishing.  Most of the fish are in the 6-8" class and great fun.  At the end of the summer we had a decent fall of rain and as the stream cleared I hit it right and took 5 fish of 3/4/1lb mark from a small pool and watched them rise from the bottom to take the fly in slow rolls.

There are other fish and fishing trips that were amazing but these were the top 2 for me this year.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com