Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Christmas Fetishes !!
« on: 01/11/2008 at 16:15 »
Hi,
    Well Christmas is coming and another chance to indulge in a real fetish , sorry that should be reel fetish  :z4

Mmmmmm .....   :shock

Paul.  :z4

Jim Eddie

Re: Christmas Fetishes !!
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2008 at 16:35 »
Aye nice looking reel Paul  :cool:

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2008 at 18:04 »
Hi Jim,
          yep, and I,ve only gone and bought one .

Doctor , I have this problem ........  :shock

Just as well the wife does,nt read this ........................

Paul.  :wink

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2008 at 18:13 »
I would love a Loop outfit, wanted one forever!!!

Think i might treat my car to something new tho  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 03/11/2008 at 12:54 »
Hi Lucky,
            Yep, the Loop stuff is very tempting . I found the £300+ asking price for their other metal reels a bit too much .  I have other £300 reels  :oops, but I'm not paying that for one anymore . At around £100 for these new Loop Multis it is about as far as I would go now . Anyway , a wee Chrissie pressie to myself.

Anyone else buying nice pressies for themselves ?

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 03/11/2008 at 13:08 »
Think i might treat my car to something new tho  :z16

Cameron,
I have a nice bean can you can have, I have taken off the label and polished it up. Would make a lovely exhaust trim for your pimp mobil ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2008 at 13:10 »
Nearly bought two seconhand Loops a good few years ago..always wanted one as Martin James had recommended them to me for pike..BUT..when I went to try them out i was stunned to find that the drag worked both ways..so..if the fish took line it worked against the fish, but when you wound in it worked against you.

I am guessing the design has changed these days?

Last one i picked up was that horrible graphite thing they do...but love the looks of the newer ones...stunning!!...

Irvine Ross

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/2008 at 17:55 »
I have the reel of your dreams, and it could be yours. :z12

One fine, vintage Abu Flymax with original zip up faux leather case, well over a decade old and still fitted with contemporary backing and rare Barrio Mallard fly line. Lovingly cared for and textured with that rare patina that only comes with years of use and which tells of many idyllic days by the streamside and countless encounters with the bottom of a drifting boat. Just to hold it conjures up pictures of epic encounters with large Don trout, swift running Haddo blues and sea trout, fresh off the tide. Touch the handle and touch the past.

This fine reel was at one time used by anglers who became legends of their time, but discretion dictates that we cannot reveal their names, except to the lucky purchaser.

First Offer of £450 secures, or willing to exchange for brand new Loop Multi :z13

stickleback

« Reply #8 on: 03/11/2008 at 18:16 »

Anyone else buying nice pressies for themselves ?

Paul.

Yep - I'm going to get the bits and pieces to build myself a new rod.  I know there's lots of good ready built rods available at prices a few quid cheaper than I'll build mine, but talk of rod building on this and other forums have given me a wee itch that I've just got to scratch, if you know what I mean.    My mate has a Fulling Mill 9'00", 5 weight which I found really suited my 'style'.  I've found Lefty Kreh blanks which I read somewhere are the same as ones used by Fulling Mill, and hope to order up all the bits and bobs soon to give me something to do in the darker nights.  Who knows, I might even be able to catch something on it  :z4 :z4 :z4

Cheers

Cammy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 03/11/2008 at 19:10 »
Cammy,
You are correct...the Fulling Gold Medal is the TFO Professional, the FM is the Series One/Signature and the Ti4 is the TiCR

I won a 9 foot Gold Medal 5 weight at mikes a few years ago and although the finish aint the worlds best, I really like the action. The blanks are really rather good for the money...good choice!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #10 on: 03/11/2008 at 21:35 »
Cameron,
I have a nice bean can you can have, I have taken off the label and polished it up. Would make a lovely exhaust trim for your pimp mobil ;)

Thanks but its already got a big exhaust :D

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 04/11/2008 at 13:09 »
Hi Stickle,
               You go for it. There is nothing like catching a nice fish on a rod you,ve made yourself. The winter is the time to do , when you have the time to do it properly . Care times ten equals final product times 100 !!

Irvine, always wanted an Abu Flymax ! Seems like a bargain too ,especially with that wonderful descriptive prose . Have you considered an alternative career as a sales person ?  :grin 

Lucky, you could always make up a Kola local salmon outfit . Just wind 100 yds 15lb nylon around the can ..... cast by whirling lure above head ...  :shock

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com