Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Mink, I think, cause a stink...
« on: 28/10/2008 at 21:21 »
Just had Aberdeen Uni contact us as they are trapping Mink on the land I lease and across the road at "Bogloch". I have to say, in the 18 months I have lived and walked around the woods/loch here I have never seen a mink or signs of them. I have chickens and there are plenty of pheasent pens next to me and I would have thoiugh the Mink would have had a field day and been a real problem if they where about?? Whilst living on Donside I saw a fare few, both out Monymusk way and also closer to town at Stoneywood when I fished there via the mills.

Are mink a problem on Deeside?

Irvine Ross

Re: Mink, I think, cause a stink...
« Reply #1 on: 29/10/2008 at 08:43 »
Are mink a problem on Deeside?

Yup.

They are the main reason why water voles have been pushed out of the low ground and are now just hanging on in a few patches high up in the hills. There are mink rafts all the way up the Tarland and Logie burns now with the objective of culling mink down to the levels where the water voles are able to re-colonise their lost habitat.

The water vole project team are keen to extend the network of monitoring rafts. I spotted one on the Cowie water last week.I am sure the project team would be happy if more people volunteered to help in their new areas.
Here is the link
http://www.watervolescotland.org/

The raft has a pad of wet clay and one of a team of volunteers checks the footprints left on the pad every week. If mink footprints are spotted, the pad comes out and a live cage trap goes in. Anything caught that is not a mink is released unharmed. That way the trapping effort is focussed on where mink are known to be present at the time.

Quite a few mink have been caught on the Tarland and Logie burns in the past couple of years. Now we are waiting to see if the water voles will come back.

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

Re: Mink, I think, cause a stink...
« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2008 at 16:29 »
Thanks for that information. I have certainly seen voles near me and unfortuantly my cat has taken a few home. :oops

I'll have to give them a call.

Thanks again

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com