Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Books for christmas
« on: 27/10/2008 at 15:34 »
HI Guys

Been trying to compile a few suggestions for my christmas list.
Quiet hard, i seem to have much of the things i would like (within reason)
However i do fancy a good book on insects.
I already have Goddards waterside guide which is excellant, and i have the wee guides from the field studies council, also excellant.
However i have never had a look at Pat o'Reilly's, "Matching the hatch" or Malcolm Greenhalgh's "The flyfishers handbook. The natural foods"

Has anyone got or read either of these books and are they worth putting on my list?

Cheers

Sandy

Jim Eddie

Re: Books for christmas
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2008 at 18:07 »
Sandy

I have Pat O'riellys matching the hatch , I'll bring it along to the casting day if you like .

Have you read the late Datus Popers "What the Trout Saw " ?

Cheers

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 27/10/2008 at 19:15 »
Hi Sandy,

Matching the Hatch is a more elementary level book if you have Goddards Waterside Guide then I would say you do not need Matching the hatch.  Try to get a copy of "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout" by Bob Linsenman & Kelly Galloup, ISBN 0-88150-672-9, never seen it in a book shop, prob best try Amazon.  One of the most interesting fishing books I have read  :wink

The Domesday Book of Giant Salmon by Fred Buller is a nice book to own too even if you are not that into salmon fishing.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 28/10/2008 at 20:19 »
Cheers Ben

I'll keep an eye pealed for that one, Streamers not really my thing, but if its a good read
Then i'm all for it :z16 Every days a school day :z4

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 28/10/2008 at 20:50 »
Sandy,

Have you ever tried fishing with streamers?  Great fun & it allows you to fish water that cannot be tackled easily with more conventional UK methods and it produces seriously big fish.  Even if you don’t go out & try it, some of the theory is useful when fishing conventionally.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 29/10/2008 at 06:03 »
Sandy,

Have you ever tried fishing with streamers? 

Ben

I've had some cracking fish using streamers in the Don :z16 Spent many years getting them just about right and figuring it all out, same goes for Czech nymphing. Problem i have is, i LIKE to wander up stream waving a little 3wt in a relaxed manner casting to rising fish or searching pocket water with dries and/or spiders, So this tends to win out once I arrive at the river :grin.

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/2008 at 20:51 »
Just to ressurrect this one - I need some recommendations for good fishing/tying books.

I have all of Gierach's stuff, most of Steve Raymond's and AK Best's, Jeff Hull's 2 books and a fair selection but I have run out of reading material and need a fix!

Cheers,

Mike L.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 03/11/2008 at 20:56 »
Mike

If I get over to Stavanger before the end of the year I'll bring some books with me. Not sure I'll make it though as I may have to head west instead. The Bass Pro shop in Katy Mills is not so beckoning with the current exchange rate  :roll

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com