Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graeme Gauld

customs
« on: 23/10/2008 at 16:43 »
i have purchased two items of fishing gear from cabelas in the USA
total cost 91 dollars has anyone got any idea how much i will be chargedb by  customs
and how does it work    how do they collect there money  ??

Hamish Young

Re: customs
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2008 at 17:15 »
If the parcel comes in via Parcelforce (if they've shipped via UPS in the 'States most likely) then the customs declaration from the US will be on the outside and any duty will be applied and payable at the local Parcelforce depot - in other words you'll have to go and collect it and pay the duty at the depot.

From memory I think you will get charged customs duty (not sure exactly how much) and import VAT if the value of the goods is over £18. So you will be paying around £20 I'd guess  :z6

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 23/10/2008 at 17:41 »
Last time I bought a rod from the States , Parcel Farce charged be another £20 fo telling me I had to come and pay duty  and collect it in Altens  :cry

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 23/10/2008 at 21:46 »
To my knowledge, Customs & Excise add 20% and then charge VAT at 17.5% on top, this is what I worked out after looking at their website.  That said, my TCR got through no problem as have other items.  Parcelforce do charge for collecting the duty but I cannot remember how much it is.

Cheers

Ben

Graeme Gauld

« Reply #4 on: 24/10/2008 at 16:12 »
thanks for the ifo guys

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: 29/10/2008 at 22:06 »
Just back from the States myself so hope I'm not too late with this info I was previously given:

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1221.0

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com