Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

October ..... the best month?
« on: 18/10/2008 at 23:25 »
I've been thinking about this over the past few days ..... October is possibly one of the best months of the year for fishing for rainbows :z17

The water is cooling down, but is not really cold yet and there is still prolific insect life on the go. Anglers are having just as much success with dry flies as they are with nymphs! Perhaps at different times of the day, which makes "working out the jigsaw puzzle" all the more interesting :wink

What is your favourite month? I guess my second choice (on a local level) would be May :z3

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Sandy Nelson

Re: October ..... the best month?
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2008 at 09:33 »
Must admit , I'd probably agree

Thinking back, May and October are probably my favourites too, although being afloat on a frosty January morning is something else, just for being there.
And catching  a late hatch on a balmy July evening would have to be there too :z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2008 at 22:07 »
.......... and it continues, "monksmyre" Derek netted approx 30 fish on dry flies today, about size 16 or 18 if I remember correctly :cool:

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Derek McLaren

« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2008 at 22:15 »
aye and i am hosing down the #5 scott as it's still sizzling, and Andrew was fair chuffed with his eight fish that included two cracking blues :z4

some day my arm is in reek

thanks again mike  :z18

Derek

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 23/10/2008 at 11:12 »
Best time of the year for Carp and Pike too, plus the big Perch will be on the move....shame the weather has not been too kind recently..-3 yesterday morning, +13 this morning!!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 24/10/2008 at 20:33 »
I read somewhere , also backed up by experience , that as the water temperature cools in October and the first frosts can occur the fish sense the oncoming winter and thus feed more.

:z18

Jim   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com