Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

nosrac

pike fishing
« on: 06/10/2008 at 13:36 »
Hi People

Am looking to do some Pike fishing in the area (Aberdeenshire) and wondering where i can do this and how much does it cost? :z8

Are you allowed to fish Loch of Srathbeg or St Michaels loch near colliston?

I know you can fish Loch of Skene but i think it is for members only :cry ???

regards
Carson

Cameron deBoth

Re: pike fishing
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2008 at 14:16 »
I remember this being discussed briefly before, try searching as I cant remember which thread it was in!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2008 at 15:28 »
No to Strathbeg...unlikely there are any Pike in there, but its a bird reserve, no to St.Michaels...private property and still under negotiation as to whether we will ever get access. looks unlikely.

Skene is season ticket, apply to Dunecht estate.

Aboyne loch is £6 a day but many of the Pike have been illegally removed for food!! this last two years

Loch Kinord is £10 a day, BUT, its closed now until April(ish) and has also been hit by our friendly Pike eaters. they have also succeeded in leaving behind a hell of a mess  :mad

Other lochs in the area are private and strictly no fishing (Dinnet and Davan)

All in all, this is the reason we tend to travel away from aberdeenshire and fish for Pike up north.

nosrac

« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2008 at 15:33 »
Hi
There is another place that i fished when i was a lad (i am only 31 but married recently and feel old)its called Fedderate reservior up in New Deer and had good stocks of trout wild and reared.
always thought there would be pike in there and not a place any one fishes alot.

has anyone fished this place lately?

Maybe worth a try?
Regards
carson

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2008 at 18:11 »
Carson

The Fraserburgh Angling club still has the fishing rights on Fedderate , it closes with the end of the Brown Trout season though, you can get day tickets from Whitecairns croft during the season. No Pike as far as I know.

Cheers

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2008 at 18:18 »
Hi Carson

Would echo Jims thoughts on Fedderate :z16

Pike in the Don if you know where to look :wink
Still season nearly finished now :cry

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2008 at 20:52 »
St Michaels Loch , well I never .... quite a story  http://www.pikezander.co.uk/pike_story_john_branch-evans.html

:z18

Jim 

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2008 at 21:10 »
Thats a great story Jim :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 06/10/2008 at 21:19 »
Yup, a cracking story Jim.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/2008 at 08:55 »
And a well known one from those in the know ;)....hence the reason we have been trying to get legal access for close on 15 years now. Managed to fish it once or twice as a guest, but we where only allowed on for a few hours and both times it was horendous weather.

Reading the story though always makes me laugh...its very much like Skene..shallow and certainly not a "vent from an old volcano"!  :z4 Also, the fish has been under much debate about its true size....if thats a 16 year old kid holding that fish, its probably mid to high 20's.

Horace from Somers fished the loch for years and years, both as a kid and upto the 70's and had a fair few big pike, but nothing over 25 pounds.

zeolite

« Reply #10 on: 07/10/2008 at 11:28 »
The "vent from an old volcano" did make me laugh. It seems to be surrounded by sand dunes if it is the place I am thinking of. Is there much trout in the loch as well?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 07/10/2008 at 13:11 »
No, St Michals is surrounded by farmland...and there is a farm and cottage overlooking it. For a good few years now its been leased by a woldfowling syndicate to blast the geese out of the sky. I think the water you are thinking of is Sand Loch ..supprisingly named really  :z4 :z4 :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 07/10/2008 at 13:40 »
Zeolite

You may be thinking of the "Sand Loch" which is just behind the dunes at Collieston , that has Perch but no trout as far as I know. No Fishing as its an SSI though.

The loch in question is abot a mile north of turn off to Collieston on your left as you are heading towrd Cruden Bay, its not really visible from the road. The loch and 80 acres of land was for sale for £80k a few years ago , seems like a bargain. I beleive it does hold trout, never haerd of anyone fishing it though.

http://peoplesmap.com/?y=830796&x=402874&level=11&layer=IMAGE&layers=IMAGE,PEOPLESMAP,POPULAR,PEOPLESMAPU&overlays=
 :z18

Jim      

zeolite

« Reply #13 on: 07/10/2008 at 13:48 »
Ah OK
I have flown over it many times and wondered.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 07/10/2008 at 14:59 »
I beleive it does hold trout, never haerd of anyone fishing it though.

Most deffo had trout as it was stocked for a number of years and the Pike killed...but the syndicate lost its lease when they started to use the outhouses as a toilet and using a boat against the experess wishes of the owner, allegedly.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com