Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

GRAYLING TIME
« on: 02/10/2008 at 08:32 »
First frost of the year (well, for me)..-2 on the thermometer this morning, cat ice on the pond and Cassie running around like an idiot trying to cover the plants in the garden!

Time to dig out the grayling gear. This year i want one on the fly!

Jim Doyle

Re: GRAYLING TIME
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/2008 at 09:44 »
Well funny you should mention that, I am in the processof putting together a day on a river near Perth for grayling. Now this is on the same beat as I usually book but I a not going to say the name publiclly in an atempt to confuse the rain gods.  This might mean that the river stays within its banks and we get some fishing this year.  The date proposed is the 23rd nov.  All are welcome Ian (goolanger)  will hope fully confirm its quite a good day.  jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2008 at 10:02 »
Bit far ahead for me to say for definite , but will come if work family are permitting

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2008 at 10:50 »
Kids weekend..so no can do :( Would love to see someone Czech Nymphing as its a method i want to try.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2008 at 21:41 »
Yes Mr Doyle, if the weather/ water is favourable it will be a cracking day.
The guys from the other Forum are good crack and very welcoming.

Fly -tying thread perhaps but I'll post it here as we are speaking Grayling......................

Anyone got any decent patterns for the 'sacrificial' middle bug when Czech Nymphing? I guess they should be 'catchers' ,easy to tie & nothing elaborate (good possibility of losing a few). I sat at the vise a few nights ago with an empty head...........nothing too far from the norm there
all I could come up with was this - which took longer than I wanted to tie & is not heavy enough (didn't want to bulk up the body and make it look portly.

I've thought basic GRHE's with coloured tags & or spots. Just thought I'd see what others suggest.
I asked my 'talent scout' to investigate some possibilities but he just keeps suggesting BLOBS.  Thanks but no thanks!

Iain

zeolite

« Reply #5 on: 02/10/2008 at 23:08 »
Ian. The grayling master on the Earn is a guy called Clan Ford who posts on the Wild Fishing forum. He consistently pulls out lots of the silver darlings on weighted bugs. I will try and get some pics for you.

Jim. When is the next FFF day?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2008 at 08:36 »
Wish my fly box looked that neat and that full!! Really can't wait to get out after them!

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2008 at 08:57 »
I've not fished for Grayling for many years - last time was (bloody hell) 20 years ago in Wales  :shock
Might have to give it a go as something different to try :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Paul Rankine

« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2008 at 20:16 »
Hi,
     Yes, nice collection there . I think you'll find that this is actually ClanFord's fly box , Norm to his friends.

Just an oversight on Zeolite's part , I,m sure , not to mention that  .

By the way he posts also on the Fly Fishing Forum , just to plug that too.

Paul.

zeolite

« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2008 at 20:56 »
Ian. The grayling master on the Earn is a guy called Clan Ford who posts on the Wild Fishing forum. He consistently pulls out lots of the silver darlings on weighted bugs. I will try and get some pics for you.

Did you leave your glasses at work Paul? :D

The pic was posted on the WFS site and you are quite correct Paul, he does post on the Fly Forums site. Big Norm is a very affable bloke and very willing to help others if you want advice.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 03/10/2008 at 22:10 »
Zeolite ,
             No. I see you clearly now for what you are.
Paul.

Jim Doyle

« Reply #11 on: 08/10/2008 at 18:57 »
Right !  I have a stretch of 2miles of river booked on 23rdnov. the cost for the fishing is £6. I will try to put on some food , please feel free to join us.  Special dietry requirements will be ignored!!!! lol :z18

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 08/10/2008 at 19:45 »
  Special dietry requirements will be ignored!!!! lol :z18

Thats no very PC mr Doyle - par for the course then eh  :cool::z4 :z4 :z4

Oh and with regret I'll have to decline this one but I'm interested in future days.

Jim Doyle

« Reply #13 on: 08/10/2008 at 20:24 »
Shame Peter, its usually a good day.  I will see what folk think and may put a few more together before the start of the trout season . jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #14 on: 08/10/2008 at 21:59 »
Sounds good Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com