Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

snakefly

Fly Tying Classes
« on: 01/10/2008 at 20:14 »
Does anyone know of any fly tying classes in the aberdeenshire area ? Would like to learn how to make up some flies instead of buying.

Peter McCallum

Re: Fly Tying Classes
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2008 at 21:08 »
Mastrick community centre, 7pm tomorrow night 2nd october, Aberdeen fly dressers ask for kevin or me - Peter

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2008 at 21:09 »
*** edit as Peter and I posted at the same time ***
I think that the Fly Dressers Guild used to have an Aberdeen branch but don't hold me to it.
I don't know if the ADAA membership run something  :?
I'm sure Ben Dixon will be running something from the Orvis shop in Banchory (evenings) but unsure of dates as yet.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2008 at 21:36 »
Hamish,

The Fly Dressers Guild did have a branch in Aberdeen - can't remember how many years ago now, we used to meet in a Hotel in Peterculter.........what was it's name now? :roll

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2008 at 22:54 »
Hi Goolager,
                 The Royal Deeside Fly Dressers Guild as was , before we renamed it . The Aberdeen Fly Dressers Guild , then became , correct me if I,m wrong here , Kevin or Peter ,  what it is now , not connected to "the Guild" . Aberdeen Fly Dressers , Highly Recommended by the way for expert practical advice and tuition.

I think the Hotel was sold . Come on , what was it's name ?

Steve, Buchan , Kevin and the rest of the other guys will know. Old age disnae come itself.

Paul.

gunner100

« Reply #5 on: 01/10/2008 at 23:29 »
So much info... the closed hotel... probably thr Gordon but I don't know. Is that the hotel where the proprietor kept the Rob Roy statue and refused to return it to the community when he sold the hotel?

Meanwhile , the Sronehaven  and District Angling Assocition will  probably be holding fly tyeing sessions in Jan/Feb. PM me if you want more on the SDAA fly tyeing evenings when I know the dates .

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2008 at 22:07 »
Hi Gunner,
               Thanks for that. I had the name Gordon in my head too  and I remember that the owner did have something to do with the statue , I think he painted it up each year or something. So I think that is it.

Anyway I think there is another thread on Winter Fly Tying so I'll close.

Cheers,

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 04/10/2008 at 10:42 »
Hi Gunner,
               Thanks for that. I had the name Gordon in my head too  and I remember that the owner did have something to do with the statue , I think he painted it up each year or something. So I think that is it.

Anyway I think there is another thread on Winter Fly Tying so I'll close.

Cheers,

Paul.

It was Jim Somers who used to paint the statue before he unfortuantly died. A true gentleman.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2008 at 18:59 »
Mastrick community centre, 7pm tomorrow night 2nd october, Aberdeen fly dressers ask for kevin or me - Peter

So did anyone go ,was it any good?

Dave

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 04/10/2008 at 19:25 »
Don't know if any newcomers went but it was the usual pleasant evening amongst a group of like minded individuals. two novices were there and both ended up with flies tied by themselves. If you want a bleather, have time to tie a few flies and learn new techniques you could do a lot worse.

Peter

Dave Mundie

« Reply #10 on: 05/10/2008 at 19:04 »
I thought about going but was tied up (no pun intended) that night would be interested in going if there was another soon as would like to start tying but would like to see how its all done first.

Dave

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #11 on: 05/10/2008 at 19:08 »
I would have poped in past for a look, but was still in Florida.

Post up when the next one is please :D doyou bring your own equipment etc?

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 05/10/2008 at 22:24 »
On every thursday 7pm, bring your gear if you have it, but if not you'll get advice about best stuff & plenty of help & encouragement

clark

« Reply #13 on: 05/10/2008 at 22:26 »
If u are talking about the one in the mastrick community centre then it is every thursday from the 2nd of october on starting at 7 pm :z7 you guys should come along as all are welcome and u might even get a flie or two tied up if u dont get tied up in all the jokes and demonstrations  :z4
hope to see u there :z16
clark

Dave Mundie

« Reply #14 on: 06/10/2008 at 19:11 »
This would be the place then is it Greenfern Rd,Aberdeen, AB16 6TR  :?

Ok so not got any geer or anything but its ok just to turn up and see whats what then is it  :?

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com