Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Strange flies /lures/baits ?
« on: 30/09/2008 at 22:27 »
Hi All,
         What is the strangest fly /lure/ bait you have caught a fish on ?

Any fish , even a Pike ?

Mine was a thin sliver of banana skin on Loch Lomond , yes , youv'e guessed it was a Pike.
Not just any Pike though , 27 1/2 pounds thankyou .

So what's your tall story then ?

Paul.

Peter McCallum

Re: Strange flies /lures/baits ?
« Reply #1 on: 30/09/2008 at 23:15 »
Rainbows on the earn on apple peel  ???and tinfoil on a hook :shock

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2008 at 08:52 »
I too have used tinfoil to catch fish...Puffer fish to be exact, off the beach in Brunei. Wee Stars and Stripes ones.

Also tiny slivers of bacon rind to catch Glassfish, Climbing Perch and catfish in the sungi's and various strange reef fish off of one of the disused gas platforms at Seria in Brunei.

Plastic corn for carp to over 25 pounds.

11 pound Brownie on a livebait. (before they where banned in Scotland and before I discovered lures and flies)

14 pound Brownie on half a mackeral!

Sausage skin tied off to form a pouch and then injected with neat attractants for carp.

Sugarpuffs super glued to a hook.

I am sure there is more..but its too early in the morning!

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2008 at 08:53 »
Many years ago there was an article in T&S about carrot lures, as in wobbling lures similar to Kynoch Killers made out of carrots.....
My old man said it was tosh, would never work etc etc. Because he'd said that I was, naturally enough, determined to prove him wrong  :z4
The more I read it the more I was compelled to give it a go.
At the time I had Loch Shiel on my doorstep and my own boat on the loch, I trolled a lot for big browns and salmon and had already experimented heavily in fabricating my own wooden kynochs/plugs from bits of pine, oak and even teak. So the idea of making one from a carrot didn't seem so odd :grin
I didn't catch a damn thing on my first couple of efforts with the carrot lures, just couldn't get them to swim how I wanted at trolling speed. But an invite to fish Loch Tay had me rushing off and I threw in a couple of the bigger carrot lures I'd made (about 5" long) wheras the largest I'd used before was almost half that size.
The upshot was after a long day on the Loch with nothing to show I set the trolls down the south side of the loch at the Croft Na Caber end and for the hell of it put a bloody great carrot lure on. 5 minutes in and one fresh salmon took. Half an hour later and the same rod with the carot lure 'went' again and a nice 'bow about 8lb came to the net.
So we called it a day as the one carrot lure that had worked got 'munched' by the 'bow and had broken  :z10

I've never used one since, mainly as I rarely do that sort of fishing any more and if I do I use more conventional lures.
But it worked and it remains the strangest bait/lure I've ever used  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 01/10/2008 at 09:47 »

Home made brown silicone worms when i was a kid  :z4 for trout on the south esk many moons ago!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 01/10/2008 at 10:18 »
I once caught a rainbow on a goldheaded white Fritz - GAAAAADDDZZZZ!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/2008 at 11:41 »
Hamish,
The great Fred Buller used carrots as lures for Pike on Loch Lomond. Basically sliced them lenghtways, did a bit of cutting to give a fish shape and them mounted them on spinning vanes...sorted. :)

Carrots are also useful if you cut one to look about the same size as a goldfish, walk into an aquarium shope (my mates one, A1 is good for this) and consealing the carrot in you hand, dip you hand in the tank and pull out a "goldfish", waggle it about a bit and pop it into your mouch and crunch!! Goes down well at kids birthdays parties if there is a gold fish bowl in the house....once the crying stops and they see that little "Goldie" is still in the bowl!  :grin

They will be making rods out of carrots next!!!  :wink

Graham Strachan

« Reply #7 on: 01/10/2008 at 11:44 »
Well this one doesnt count as a caught fish but i remember years ago when i was just a lad fishing with my Dad on the Bervie at the back end of the season, there were a good few salmon in the water but didnt seem to be interested in anything so he had the usual last cast and as we were packing up he pinged his fag end into the water we had just fished only to see a silver head coming up to investigate! It turned and followed the tabby down for a wee bit then disappeared back down into the depths, bloody beasts!
Im not sure if 20 Regal Kingsize would last too long in the water though!

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 01/10/2008 at 13:56 »
I once caught a rainbow on a goldheaded white Fritz - GAAAAADDDZZZZ!!!

Yikes  :!

snakefly

« Reply #9 on: 01/10/2008 at 20:07 »
I used to catch small brownies on chicken skin when i couldnt get worms.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com