Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Re: New Breathable Chest waders
« Reply #15 on: 26/09/2008 at 21:40 »
Hi All,
        Jim, I think that you may be on to something in terms of the fact that increased movement (=life of wader ?) must surely  test float tubing waders more than normal usage. 

Hamish I,ve noticed leaks from every part of my float tubing waders . Irrespective of price I might add.

Jeroen, I wish all waders lasted ten years ! However, I don't see any advantage in spending £250 to £300 on waders which last ten years , (= say £25 a year  ?) , or simply buying £50 waders ( on discount , £100 RRP) and if I get 2 years out of them then that's the same , £25 a year . If they last longer then I,ve scored. I suppose I,m saying why have the initial high cost outlay when you don't need to. Fair enough if Simms have a ten year replacement guarantee or you have a friendly local shop which will replace them if , (and in my experience , when !) they develop faults.

Peter, thanks for that , I,ve heard lots of good things about Vision waders , particularly Extremes. I used to have a pair myself but it's the cost of them that stops me returning . However....... in my Sept T+S I note that there is an ad for Vision Flywater breathable ,with free boots , at £149 . I am tempted.  :wink

So , for the time being I have gone for the half price KLOBBA . If they are totally crap , (which I doubt ) I,ve only lost £49.95 , (assuming I don't have to buy shares in Aquasure ) .If they are good and last more than two years , then they are up there with the best.

With the "saved" £50 I have bought myself a new wading jacket .(Thanks for that , Jim .)

Paul.

PS: Why is it so difficult to make a hard wearing wader that does not leak ?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #16 on: 26/09/2008 at 21:51 »
A good point the most expensive waders I ever owned, were done to death on a barbed wire fence on the Ythan  :mad

Barbed wire is no respector of expensive waders  :z6

:z18

Jim

Dutchfly

« Reply #17 on: 27/09/2008 at 09:28 »
Jim,

Mine are stockingfoot.

Those Simms were the third pair of waders I had to buy in one season. Both my previous Orvis and Shakespeare waders had leeks. The warranty had ended when I left the shop, it appeared :mad. I hadn't bought them at my regular flyshop, because they only carry Simms, which I found too expensive. Went to my shop, bought a pair of Simms and, sure enough, a couple of months later I had a small leek in a seam at the knees. Went back to the shop, they send the waders to Montana for repair, no charge because the have a lifetime warranty. 3 weeks later I had my waders back and have had absolutely no problems since. Next pair of waders? No doubt, Simms. :z16 :z16 :z16

CU

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 27/09/2008 at 13:05 »
Just had a totallu mad thought! Years ago I used to use an offshore survival suit for riding my motorbike through the winter. When i started watersking I wore it in the sea during the summer. It never ever leaked..and that must have been about 7 years hard use on bike and boat (used when sea fishinjg off the rocks and boat too) This had waterproof seals on neck and wrists and integrel boots.

Imagine a total immersuit for tubing...would that not be the answer? No worries about water going over the top of the waders, no wet elbows, an element of safety etc etc.

I found an army immersion suit in camo (if its like the ones i used over in norway it has boots sewn on) for £100. Again, 100% sealed agains water. http://www.mrarmysurplus.co.uk/page.php?domain_name=mrarmysurplus.co.uk&viewpage=ACCESSORIES

Or on ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=immersion+suit Some of these are breathable!!!..for around £30!!

Just a mad thought!!..but the fact they are designed for extreme conditions and are built to be comfortable in a seated positions...well..who knows :)

Paul Rankine

« Reply #19 on: 27/09/2008 at 20:34 »
Hi Jeroen,

no charge because the have a lifetime warranty

I did,nt know that Simms waders had a lifetime warranty. This is not mentioned in the sales ads.
eg Sportfish catalogues .

Paul.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #20 on: 27/09/2008 at 21:00 »
Paul

This is a quote from the warranty card :

" If this product fails due to workmanship or material defects during the life of the product please return it to us for repair or replacement"

Mind you it would be difficult to prove bad workmanship or material defecs if they are 3 years old. You pays your money you makes your choice  :grin

Jim 

Paul Rankine

« Reply #21 on: 27/09/2008 at 21:08 »
Hi Jim,
          Thanks for that.

It's interesting all the same that they don't advertise the "lifetime warranty".

I suspect that you are right in that the "life of the product " may mean something entirely different , as in not the lifetime of the angler !!  :wink   , as in not a "lifetime warranty " at all.

Paul.

Andy Wren

« Reply #22 on: 28/09/2008 at 08:50 »
Orvis does!! :z16 I have been in the Banchory shop several times when someone has come in with a pair of leaking waders. Replaced without quibble! Infact, one lucky visiting lady (so she had bought her waders else where) was given a free upgrade as they did not have a pair that fitted her in the model she had.

However...I am not in there "that" often..so to have seen several pairs of waders come back means there must be a high failure rate.  :z8

Orvis In banochry are indeed excellent at the replacement of leakys ,I had a day in febuary Middle blackhall and the deluge started first thing in the morning ,lunch time run down welcomed with a livening Balvenie ,towels to dry feet ,discount on a pair of socks ,back fishing in under an hour .
sadly the replacements of febuary will go the the dover street shop in May fair London this week ,seams leaking again .
Will take the replacements ,but have just ordered some Dan Baileys ,they have a awsome reputation !Sadly no Uk distributor !

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 28/09/2008 at 20:39 »
the dover street shop in May fair

One of my fav shops as they have some really really interesting Pike/Saltwater flies, tying materials, rods and HUGE sailfish lures that for a joke, rigged up for a Pike trip to Loch Tay. I got some interesting looks with a 14 inch long rubber "Bonito" hanging from the rod tip ;)

Paul Rankine

« Reply #24 on: 29/09/2008 at 15:35 »
Hi All,

Orvis In banochry are indeed excellent at the replacement of leakys

I ,m delighted to hear it but you kinda wonder if they have had lots of practice at it then ? :roll

We'll see how I get on my Klobbas.

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 29/09/2008 at 16:46 »
One of my fav shops as they have some really really interesting Pike/Saltwater flies, tying materials, rods and HUGE sailfish lures that for a joke, rigged up for a Pike trip to Loch Tay. I got some interesting looks with a 14 inch long rubber "Bonito" hanging from the rod tip ;)

here they are..under "Little Tunny"...14" Bonito :) http://www.williamsonlures.com/products/live_series.php

Andy Wren

« Reply #26 on: 29/09/2008 at 19:45 »
Hi All,

I ,m delighted to hear it but you kinda wonder if they have had lots of practice at it then ? :roll

We'll see how I get on my Klobbas.

Paul.

Paul ,
My local orvis hate me ,
it is in Mayfair ,posh London ,much more of a Orvis lifestyle store than the normal Orvis .
i roll in open my back pack produce leaky waders /wading boots loosing sole /studs ,fresh from the river bank ,
Posh clothing sales women gives haughty looks and seems suprised that country wear gets muddy .
last time had to have discussion with head office , good guarantee crap product .
Keep on hoping find a lucky pair like the sale pair that lasted me 5 seasons hard fishing again !
that is the reason have gone for Dan Baileys ,several friends who fish hard have had 4/5 years no worries from them !
Still will keep a pair of Orvis as back ups as some one said here ,barbed wire has no respect for price or brand !

Jim Eddie

« Reply #27 on: 29/09/2008 at 19:56 »
From experience and from most posts on this thread the whole process of buying waders is a bit of a lottery  :roll

Bearing that in mind If I was buying at the moment I would have gone with Pauls choice of £49 Klobbas.

However if anyone is interested in the Dan Bailey's, the entry level model are currently selling on e-bay at appox. £65 plus £10 postage, In my experience e-bay sellers know how to avoid paying duty etc so could be a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dan-Bailey-Barebones-Wader-Size-M-New-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ290091650121QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290091650121&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #28 on: 30/09/2008 at 13:12 »
Hi All,
        ACW , I reckon that's us off the Orvis Christmas card list then . :z4

Jim, I,ve put that site into my favourites list for when the Klobbas leak !

Rob, what are you on mate? This thread is about waders not plastic sailfish lures. :roll

Pike season coming up by any chance ?

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 30/09/2008 at 15:41 »
Rob, what are you on mate? This thread is about waders not plastic sailfish lures. :roll

Pike season coming up by any chance ?

Never went away!!!!..Always Pike Season this far North!

..and it was a lead on from the mention of the London Orvis shop...full of wonderful stuff!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com