Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Hurricane Ike
« on: 11/09/2008 at 19:25 »
Hi,
    Eldest son evacuating Galveston as I speak . Looks like it's gonna be a big one.
Hope is hoose is still there when he gets back !  :shock
Paul.

Paul Rankine

Re: Hurricane Ike
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2008 at 20:08 »
Here is IKE,
                   http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/vis-l.jpg
Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2008 at 20:57 »
Here is IKE,
                   http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/vis-l.jpg
Paul.

Ouch ....... that looks nasty :shock

Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2008 at 01:45 »
Hi Mike,
            Thanks for that.

I,ve just spoken to him and the latest is that he does not expect much of his house to be there when he gets back as the storm surge is predicted to be about 20 feet , and the eye is going to pass within 50 miles west of Galveston . Basically means that his house and most of Galveston Island will be swamped.

Headed for Houston after that.

Having been in the aftermath of Hurricane Dennis I know the destruction that these things can cause.

I sincerely hope that he is wrong.

Thanks for the reply Mike .

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 12/09/2008 at 08:30 »
Our Houstan office was closed yesterdy until Monday..hopefully it will all blow out like the last one a few weeks ago...fingers crossed!

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 12/09/2008 at 19:29 »
Hi,
    Galveston flooded due to the rise in sea level ,

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/weather/2008/09/12/vos.tx.ike.flooding.ktrk?iref=mpvideosview

This is before the tidal surge and the eye is still over 200 miles away .

Now talking about 100mph winds for 8-10 hours. I don't think his house will survive.

Don't think that much will be left of Galveston Island after this.

Thank God they,ve gone . Never mind the house (!) at least they are all OK.

Houston is only 50 miles away. This is going to be catastrophic.

Paul.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2008 at 20:01 »
Paul

Its good your son has got out , property can be replaced. I heard on the radio today the 70 year old mayot of Galveston is going to stay and sit it out  :roll

:z18

Jim 

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2008 at 22:01 »
Hi Jim,
         Thanks for that . National Weather Service said today " Stay and you will die ". Pretty extreme language for weather commentators.

I can't believe that anyone would try and sit out a 20 foot tidal surge and 8-10 hrs of  battering 100mph winds.  Their houses are not like our houses. Once they start to break up and the debris starts flying around at 100mph they won't last long. Matchwood . Total Madness.

I,ve heard the phrase "Hurricane fatigue" meaning folk are sick and tired of running away from hurricanes which don't have the effect predicted . So they stay to protect their property and hope it goes away.

This is predicted to be the biggest storm to hit the Texas coastline for 100 years , perhaps ever. The people who are staying have no comprehension of what conditions are going to be like . Don't they have access to the internet ? This storm is over 800 miles wide .

It's going to kill them.  :roll 

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 13/09/2008 at 01:27 »
Nature can be awesome when she is wild :shock

Hope things turn out OK for your son ....... and for everybody else over there for that matter :z6

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2008 at 21:16 »
Hi Paul

There are a few videos starting to appear on YouTube

Cheers
MIke

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 14/09/2008 at 21:37 »
Hi Mike  ,
              Thanks. Pete and family are holed up north of Houston at a friends house. No water or power yet and too much flooding to stay much longer. Sewers are back flooding and large areas under water still.
They are thinking of heading to Austin but problem is that everyone else from Houston is heading out too as it will be a least a week before power is back there , despite the Mayor telling everyone to stay as there will be a petrol shortage.

Galveston looks like it's been hit by a B52 strike. House is gone. Island closed , bridge closed due to structural damage and several boats on it .  It,s going to be several weeks before they find out what the damage and the death toll is.

Not out of this yet , thank god they got out when they did.

Some video of Crystal beach , east of Galveston , Pete had a friend here who was sensible and heeded the warnings. Scroll down to the Crystal Beach video or you can watch the whole sorry affair from the beginning.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/weather/2008/09/12/vos.tx.ike.flooding.ktrk?iref=mpvideosview

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 14/09/2008 at 21:48 »
Yes, those videos say it all Paul ........... lots of destruction :z10

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com