Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Rescobie Loch
« on: 04/09/2008 at 19:04 »
I'm fishing Rescobie next Friday , now I have fished it before , however that was as a callow youth in the 60's, before you say :z4  no not the 1860's  the 1960's  :wink

Anyone fished it more recently ?

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

Re: Rescobie Loch
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/2008 at 20:16 »
17 years ago some scallywag pinched a fly box I'd left behind. :cry Never been back :z6

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 04/09/2008 at 20:20 »
17 years ago some scallywag pinched a fly box I'd left behind. :cry Never been back :z6

If I find it Peter I'll give you a shout  :z4 Any decent flees  :z4

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 04/09/2008 at 20:51 »
Been out a fair bit on rescobie this year Jim, Drimmie is fishing well as is the green bank. Taking most fish on a midge tip with buzzers, cormarants and diawl bachs. Olive cormorants and size 12-14 black buzzers.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2008 at 20:57 »
Thanks for the info Baz
 :z16

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 04/09/2008 at 21:42 »
There is a fair bit of info on the recobie page as well but i would try the green bank along side the gate in the water  :z4

http://www.rescobieloch.co.uk/NEWS.htm

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2008 at 21:16 »
Going to be a windy one tomorrow jim,  :oops ,

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 11/09/2008 at 21:58 »
Good Luck for tomorrow Jim. :z16

Let us know how you get on.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 12/09/2008 at 08:28 »
Some nice Pike in there now they have stopped wasting money netting it.  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 12/09/2008 at 20:21 »
Well Folks thats me just back in from Rescobie. No wind Baz  :wink No sign of any Pike Rob

Rescobie is a 200 acre relatively shallow lowland loch set in farmland just outside of Forfar. There is a good boathouse with around 20 boats for hire , prices are reasonable £40 for a 2 peson boat , that includes the hire of an electric outboard. The boats are spacious and  in good condition and stable casting platforms. There is bank fishing available , but it is fairly limited whwre you can fish.

It was quite busy today with around a dozen boats out , although due to the size of the loch it did not feel crowded ,conditions were perfect , overcast with a light south wind. Most of the of the other boats were anchored up , we went for a traditional loch style drift. I was fishing with a Snowbee Buzzer line , with a straggle fritz pennel on the point and a Hutches pennel on the dropper.

Half way through the first drift and bang fish hits me on the drop after a 10 minute fight a 6lber is boated. Cast again 2nd fish hits me on the drop, this time a 3 lber on the dropper , again gives areally good account of itself. Drift up to the far shore with no more action , there are no fish showing.

Motored back up the loch , almost the same spot , I'm in again another fine 2-1/2 lber, drifted to the far end , anchored up and had lunch , after luch the sun came out the wind dropped , it was like fishing in the med  :z4 Nothing much doing for a couple of hours , 1 fish swireld at my fly. The wind then swaung round through 360 degress and as it was getting on by now had a drift back up towards the boat house , picked up another fish on the way , landed back at the boathouse around 17:00 , 4 fish for 13-1/2 lb , I enjoyed the day and would reccomend Rescobie. One downside though there was agreen algae bloom in the loch, the fact that the cattle are not fenced in and were actually in the loch on the far side would not help the water quality.

Jim         

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 12/09/2008 at 20:33 »
Was that you in boat 11 jim?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 12/09/2008 at 23:26 »
Sounds like it was a good day out Jim with some nice fish too.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get to Rescobie for a year or two but I do have some fond memories from both bank (cattles' toilet side) and boat.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 13/09/2008 at 00:29 »
Hi Jim

Great to read how you got on down the road, thanks for that :z16

Cheers
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #13 on: 13/09/2008 at 01:27 »
Hi Jim,
          Sounds like you were your usual jammy self !  :grin

Or , perhaps you know what you are doing eh ?

Sorry , waiting on a call from Houston , hope there is not a problem  :shock

It's a great place the Gulf  , except for the hurricanes .

All the Best for now ,

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 14/09/2008 at 21:12 »
Here are some of Jim's photos :z5

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com