Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Hover Lines
« on: 22/08/2008 at 22:27 »
Just curious to see what lines people are using to pull wets (or fish flies just sub-surface) when fishing a 'chop'.
I bought a Snowbee intermediate, maybe two years ago (have only used it once) because it had a sink rate of 0.5" per sec. which I thought might be an advantage when wind & wave bowed the Floating line more than I'd like. Unfortunately it performed pretty much as I'd feared.....floated like a cork until it realised it was meant to drop then I couldn't get the monkey to stop dropping. :mad

I have an airflo which was recommended for it's ability to hover JUST subsurface (for the life of me I can't remember the type)- bought it last year, or was it this year? anyway the lowest rating which it is made in is a #6 - I want a 4 wt - and I haven't even used it yet so I can't vouch for it.

I'm thinking that I'll just stick on an intermediate poly leader unless anyone has any recommendations on lines.........midge tip/ hover line?

The article in this months FF&FT gee'd me up to revisiting this issue ALSO today I missed a few trout and had three splash at the fly, without any contact, which may or may not have been hook ups if the flies had a slightly deeper lie???????

Like I say just a thought.

Iain

Jim Eddie

Re: Hover Lines
« Reply #1 on: 22/08/2008 at 22:34 »
Iain

I use the Snowbee Buzzer line , got it last year free re-newing subscription of FF & FT, I us it to pull wets or nymphs , its got a 5ft sink tip so fishes just under the surface.

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2008 at 22:54 »
I'm off check them out on the net

Cheers Jim :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 22/08/2008 at 23:06 »
There you go Iain http://www.wellbanklochans.co.uk/acatalog/FLYLINES.html Neil Andersons shop in Forfar

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 22/08/2008 at 23:28 »
Jim,

Funny that, I was actualy going to phone Neil today as I got an e-mail from him yesterday saying that the Esks are fishing very well.
The thing is that I have found that these lines are only made in the 5 - 9wt range :cry Pity!

Poly leaders' looking favourable.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 23/08/2008 at 21:35 »
Iain

I keep an old floater that has lost most of its bouyancy at is tip, for these occasions
Its a brilliant solution to the problem, most floaters do this eventually, some straight out of the box :z6
But not the ones i use :wink
I'm not a fan of casting polyleaders unless they are on salmon lines.
However they do offer a solution, to your problem, but a braided loop on any line less than a 5wt interferes with its dynamics to much for me :shock
Maybe i'm just to fussy :roll

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 24/08/2008 at 00:05 »
Hi Sandy,

fair points - I'm hoping to get onto the Loch tomorrow for a short spell to see how an intermed. polyleader fairs on a 4wt line? :roll :z10   "Which polyleader would you like sir Trout or Salmon?" hardly oozes synergy with a range of lines weights.

Oh well any excuse to get the Tube out.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 25/08/2008 at 09:01 »
I also use a floating line with a 5 foot clear tip...the problem I have though is that the main line is bright orange, so once the tip has sunk, it pulls a section of orange under as well. I am sure this is a problem when the fish are a bit wary.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 04/09/2008 at 21:26 »
The ridge Midge tip is a watery olive with a clear tip on it and seams to work ok!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com