Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

The Great Pike Outfit Hunt
« on: 21/08/2008 at 00:04 »
I'm back on the trail of a Pike/ SWFF fly reel and the net has thrown up the idea of the Scierra XDP.

Anyone own/ tried one?    any cope?

Thanks

Iain

By the way J Jim I've gone with one of Robs' rods

Hamish Young

Re: The Great Pike Outfit Hunt
« Reply #1 on: 21/08/2008 at 08:13 »
Have tried (but don't own) the XDP and seems a fine well made reel but haven't tried one in the salt, can't imagine it wouldn't cope. Quite a lot of special offers on the XDP if I recall correctly which can't be a bad thing for the bargain hunter.

If I do go out in the salt, in my case Bass/Sea Trout/Pollack/Mackeral hunting, then I still use a (now quite middle aged) System 2 7/8 which is fine as long as you remember to wash it down and re-lube after a trip.

To be honest and in the same price range I'd have thought a Loop CLWC or CLW would be fine for most UK saltwater species and has the advantage of being mostly composite so easy to maintain but with a quality drag which most but not all other composite reels seem to be lacking.

Has Rob suggested something which will help balance out the rod "in hand" :?

Hamish  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2008 at 09:00 »
I use the Orvis Mach IV which is now available discounted..about £120 if you can still find one. This is my "pike reel of choice" but i have started using it off the rocks..but its going to be retired from that as its taking a battering from the rocks :(

As the rods and line are heavy compared to a trout rod i do find a heavier reel balances the outfit better..and so I have started using my old Okuma Integrity 7/8 reel. Again, on the net these can be bought for £40 and to tell the truth, the quality and the drag are up there with reels 3 times the price, if not more. Cracking reel for the money!!

Fancy £200 reels are great if you are fishing out a boat or on a sun kissed beach, but for the rough and tumble of the North East coast I think you are better off using something cheaper and more "disposable".

esoxfly

« Reply #3 on: 21/08/2008 at 17:09 »
I use an Airflo T7.  No complaints and it's been used in the brackish water in the Baltic a few times now (and then neglected for a few months!) with no sign of any damage or loss of performance.  Whatever you go for a powerful disc drag is a major plus.

It balances my rod very well.  I remember looking at a Sierra reel a couple of years back when I bought the T7 but it was considerably heavier if I remember correctly.

A bit out of touch with the market these days but hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chris

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 22/08/2008 at 09:37 »
Chris,
there are 4 or 5 folk in the PFFA that swear by the T7's. Dave McFluffchucker uses them all the time for Pike.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 22/08/2008 at 09:39 »
I forgot to mention the Vossler range of reels...popular too and nice and simple.

Tacklebargins do the T7 for £99.99 instead of £229.99 :)

sightbob

« Reply #6 on: 22/08/2008 at 21:14 »
hi iain
i have 2 xdp reels a 7/8 for trout and a 10/11 which i use for salmon, will easily handle pike of any size with a smooth drag system which impreesed me enough to buy 2.
cheers
brian

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 22/08/2008 at 21:36 »
Thanks for the replies gents,
I now have to decide between the three reels XDP, T7 & Integrity. More than likely I'll opt for the cheaper Integrity - don't usually go for the cheapest but I've the whole Pike setup to buy so I guess I should 'screw the brew'.

LINES? Floater & intermediate (slow or fast?) any recommendations?

Iain

esoxfly

« Reply #8 on: 23/08/2008 at 21:31 »
Used to use floater only but recently started using an intermediate more often.

I have an old Toothy Critter floating pike line which I can't find anywhere these days - anyone know if it's been rebranded or discontinued?

The intermediate I use is a Rio Striped Bass coldwater line.  It's excellent!  :z16 I can't find a floating version of it though.

I am curious about some of the other lines on the market aimed at saltwater fishing - would the tropical ones be useable in cold water over here?

:z18

Chris

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 25/08/2008 at 08:57 »
Lines are easy... :wink

Intermediate I would recomend either the Airflo Cold Saltwater line..available from www.tacklbargins for a tenner for ex-display or £15 brand new. Retail at £40+
OR
Rio Outbound integrated shooting head. Expensive at nearly £50 unless you get a discount (Thanks Ben ;))
OR
Toothy Critter Intermediate...if you can find one....£20ish...BUT, I found my one went curly and yellow within a year.

Floater I would say the Airflo Cold Saltwater...buy from Tacklebargins :)
OR
The Mastery Pike which is colour coded for easy loading...but again, nearly £50
OR
Rio Outbound integrated shooting head  :wink

Sinkers try the ..wait for it...Airflo Cold saltwater in type 3 and 7 sinkers..guess where from
OR
The Airflo Saltwater 40+ sinkers (watch though as they are designed for fast action, powerful rods and are a bit of a handful on the wrong gear)
OR
Yep, the Outbound!

I have to say, I kitted myself out with an Airflo floater, a clear inter, a "glow in the dark" inter, a number 3 and number 7 sink for under £70 :) from Tacklebargins. Really are spot on for Pike.

I very very rarely use a full floater these days, prefering the better casting performance of the intermediates. A 10 weight WF floater (dedicated pike line) is very thick indeed and in anything other than a flat calm, can be a pain to cast, especially in cross winds! I can even use poppers on an Inter :)

Hope that helps a little.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com