Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

esoxfly

Loose rod joints
« on: 16/08/2008 at 21:33 »
Hi folks.

I have been out doing a bit more fly fishing for pike recently and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated and worried that the joints on my 4pc rod won't stay firmly in place for any length of time.  I need to keep checking between casts and have noticed some wear around the point where the top section finishes against the bottom section (sorry hard to verbalise!).  The joints are not spiggot - they are the other ones (name escapes me now).  :z8

The rod is a Hardy Ad Swier Pike Teaser 10 wt designed specifically for this type of fishing.   :z16

Anyway, does anyone have any solutions to the problem?  I assume it is to do with the heavy casting twisting forces.  I remember hearing of rod tape used by salmon anglers for spey casting but have never seen or used it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

Jim Eddie

Re: Loose rod joints
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2008 at 21:40 »
Cris

There are a few solutions , candle wax on the joints , Graphite spray , Its about £5 or £6 from Mullarkey's . The tape you are looking for is "amalgamting tape I think Sportsfish sell "rod joint tape"
m
 :z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2008 at 00:36 »
Yes, well done Jim ....... some black Scotch tape from Sportfish would be a good solution :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 18/08/2008 at 08:41 »
Chris,
Get some joint repair spray from the likes of Seymo etc. Works wonders.

It does seem to be a problem with the heavier rods..I get the same with my orvis 9 weight..normally the middle joint going. Its been mentioned a few times on the PFFA site too.

When the subject was brought up on the SWFF site a manufacturer said it was "perfectly normal"..hmmm...I have not had a problem with the PFFA rod i build, but that is a very light blank and I think the weight of the tip sections has something to do with it all.

esoxfly

« Reply #4 on: 20/08/2008 at 18:52 »
Many thanks for the advice folks.

I'll see about getting some of the tape - I assume it doesn't leave loads of gunge on the rod or damage the finish?  I don't leave the rod assembled between trips.  

Must get a look at your PFFA rods some time Rob - although I am very happy with the Hardy rod  :z16.  All I need now is that elusive "20" to really test it.  My summer trip to Stockholm didn't produce the goods this year  :cry - need to go back in April/May or October to December apparently.  I was lucky to get my new PB last year because the weather had stayed cool (can anyone tell me how to post a photo of it?).

BTW I picked the rod up for £120 from the Hardy factory shop at Alnwick a few years ago when they discontinued it!

Cheers,
Chris

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #5 on: 20/08/2008 at 19:07 »
(can anyone tell me how to post a photo of it?).

Firstly you need to sign up to a hosing site, somewhere like www.photobucket.com (its free)

Then upload your photo to it (much like an attachment in an email)

Then copy the IMG code and paste or the pic link inbetween [img.] [/img.] (without the dots) - this is what the img tag does for you.

Hope that makes sense

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 21/08/2008 at 08:51 »
Chris,
That was a good price for Ad's rod!!

The rod i do is not as stiff and powerful as Ads 10 weight, as it was designed for easier casting with more "normal" sized pike flies in the 4 to 7 inch catagory. As you know, Ad likes his huge heavy beasts of flies so needs the Teaser to get them out. I have a few on the go just now if you want a cast..should have the next one finished early next week.

Have to say i did not get on with the Teaser. Lovely rod, just not my cup of tea. I am too limp wristed..lol.

Have to get out sometime..planning a trip to Venacher or somewhere...its been fishing well.

Rob

esoxfly

« Reply #7 on: 21/08/2008 at 17:34 »
I'll take you up on that offer soon Rob  :z18

Here's the photo of my fly-caught PB from the Stockholm Archipelago (pike fly paradise!)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 22/08/2008 at 09:35 »
Chris, you are asking for danger using a Boga grip!..lol...

Well done mate :)...what did it take?

Lovely colours!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #9 on: 22/08/2008 at 12:41 »
Have to get out sometime..planning a trip to Venacher or somewhere...its been fishing well.

Rob

That sound like fun if you wanted someone to fill the 2nd seat :D  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 22/08/2008 at 13:16 »
Will you be able to stand the pressure ;)..big water, big flies, big fish ;)

There are a few trips coming up through the PFFA if you are interested..only a tenner a year to join.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #11 on: 22/08/2008 at 13:40 »
Will you be able to stand the pressure ;)..big water, big flies, big fish ;)

There are a few trips coming up through the PFFA if you are interested..only a tenner a year to join.

You knows Im up for it, dont you remember how I scrambled up and around those rocks the other day lol.

Nah in al seriousness I would love to have ago at Pike on the fly. Gonna look into the PFFA. Do you think my Greys rod would be up ot the task? as I cant really afford another rod  :oops

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 22/08/2008 at 14:01 »
Honestly, no, I dont think the Greys will handle a pike on the waters up here. Ok for canals etc, but we dont have any here..lol. I can lend you a rod, thats not an issue! I ave a couple of 10 weights, a 9 and a very poweful 8 that will be fine.

esoxfly

« Reply #13 on: 22/08/2008 at 14:56 »
Rob - re. the "boga" grip-  I was a bit worried when the guide pulled it out for the bigger fish but he used it expertly and didn't seem to do any harm.  The smaller ones were all hand landed despite having a rather large net in the boat!  Never seen the gadget over here - probably not pc!  Having said that the culture in Sweden is very much catch and release for Pike nowadays  - they are seen as a major asset - shame it's not like that in some of our highland waters :mad!  I know - don't want to get us started again - someday! :z6

It was a gorgeous specimen. Here's the fly:

Tied some much better ones for the last trip.

:z18

Chris

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 22/08/2008 at 15:38 »
Chris,
I have used a Boga for Cuda etc in the past, I dont really see that much of an issue with them if the fish is supported the way you did. Others in the UK have a different opinion ;)

I presume the fly is an EP creation?..very similar to most of my flies....although i band mine with black and use flat tinsel rather than crinckled as i feel it gives of a larger flash in the water.

Have you tried the 3D Ep yet? I did a few Perch flies with it and you get a very subtle colour blend, very nice, will get some pictures of them.

I have also started using the DNA stuff, either as additions to the EP flies or for tying smaller baitfish imitations. Its good stuff!!!

Got to get out soon! Fancy a trip somewhere? Cameron(luckyshot) and Iain Cameron are keen for a bash :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com