Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

Salmon flies ???
« on: 13/08/2008 at 15:53 »
for all u salmon fisherman out there i ask u this one question what is ur favourite set up e.g. flie ,line ,rod ect. for rivers like the dee and the don at this time of year ?????

Graham Ritchie

Re: Salmon flies ???
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2008 at 17:55 »
It would depend on the water level, but at the moment a floating line with a 5ft sinking polyleader and a size 10 or 12 Cascade or Silver Ally's would be a good bet.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2008 at 22:34 »
It would depend on the water level, but at the moment a floating line with a 5ft sinking polyleader and a size 10 or 12 Cascade or Silver Ally's would be a good bet.

does anyone fish with something other than one of Ally's flies these days??

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 14/08/2008 at 10:02 »
Yup - me. Probably why I don't catch much  :z4 :z7 Actually, it's probably more down to the fact I don't go out for the silver tourists as much as I'd like to  :z10

I do have an assortment of Ally variants kicking around, but generally I still prefer to use other tried and tested patterns like stoats tails, assorted squirrel patterns and other hair wing flies first. Simply as I have more confidence in them, doesn't mean they're any better (or worse) than any of Allys flies  :cool:

Stuart Smith

« Reply #4 on: 15/08/2008 at 01:00 »
ive found that pink grayling bugs work for salmon

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com