Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Feuch
« on: 29/07/2008 at 23:00 »
Was going to take son up to see the salmon leaping when would be the best time to go?

Dave

Irvine Ross

Re: Feuch
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2008 at 08:16 »
Dave

You are a bit early yet. Any time mid September to November after heavy rainfall. The salmon will start to run as the river water level drops back from the peak of the flood. They cannot get up the falls in low water. Right now the fish are lying quietly in the deep pools in the main river or still out at sea.

Cheers

Irvine

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2008 at 09:08 »
The fish can get over the falls at the present water height. You will see plenty of grilse there at the moment.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2008 at 10:31 »
There is a lot of water coming down the Feugh just now due to heavy rain over the past few days. It does not seem to have affected the dee that much though. When i passed on the way home last night there was a fair crowd of folk on the footbridge which is always a fair indicator that there are a few fish running :)

In general though, I understand that later in the year is better.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2008 at 17:28 »
Rain? Water in the Feugh?  ???

There has been next to no rain at Aboyne for the last two weeks and the Dee is only just above low summer level. I assumed the Feugh would be just as low. My mistake so sorry for the misleading information.  :oops However it remains true that the most reliable time to see salmon jumping the falls of Feugh is in the autumn after a spate.

Apologies

Irvine

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2008 at 17:55 »
Yes i thought it was a bit early but thought i'd better ask while it was in my head.  :z12

Dave

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #6 on: 30/07/2008 at 20:16 »
I saw plenty of grilse there when I stopped for a look last week. I used to fish the Feugh a fair bit in the past a short distance upstream of the falls. The peak run was always the grilse run which used to be mid June to mid July. During the last few seasons the peak of the grilse run has been early August. So now is as good a time as any to watch the fish attempting to get up the falls.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 31/07/2008 at 08:41 »
Rain? Water in the Feugh?  ???

There has been next to no rain at Aboyne for the last two weeks and the Dee is only just above low summer level. I assumed the Feugh would be just as low. My mistake so sorry for the misleading information.  :oops However it remains true that the most reliable time to see salmon jumping the falls of Feugh is in the autumn after a spate.

Apologies

Irvine

Irvine,
I was up near the headwaters of the Feugh the other day and it was tipping down, so much so we made a dash for shelter to wait for it to clear as the rain was "stinging" us it was that heavy..yet when we got home (Sluie on the Dee) the garden was bone dry and we had to water the plants!

The joys of scottish weather :)

Graham Allan

« Reply #8 on: 03/08/2008 at 11:20 »
I had a look yesterday on my way to aboyne   the water was pretty peaty there were a few small grilse trying to get over the falls but most of the ones that I saw didnt seam to be trying very hard  :z8.Were they tired out or waiting for more water?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Graham.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 03/08/2008 at 16:54 »
Feugh is up today..had a really heavy shower earlier which has caused some flash flooding. Was over the bridge about an hout ago and it was very stained and running hard.

Still raining just now.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com