Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bakerboy

River Bervie
« on: 29/07/2008 at 09:01 »
Has anyone been fishing for Sea Trout in the Bervie this year?
I live nearby and would be keen to try it, do you need a permit?
Also if anyone has any advice on times, tactics etc I would appreciate it.
If any of the regulars could accomodate a fishing buddy one evening that would be even better!!

Jake

Re: River Bervie
« Reply #1 on: 30/07/2008 at 03:37 »
Ive fished the Bervie with no luck for sea trout but had a few little browns :z8 if that helps

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/07/2008 at 10:37 »
Laurencekirk and district has fishing on the upper reaches..had some good evenings with Brownies on the dry :)

Fishing in the mouth of the Bervie has been free for residents of "The Royal Burgh of Inverbervie"...but there have been a few worries recently http://scottishlaw.blogspot.com/2007/11/1342-royal-charter-for-salmon-fishing-v.html

I think the following, Joseph Johnston & Sons, 3 America Street, Montrose, still have permits in the middle reaches, but its been a long while since I fished there.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2008 at 19:32 »
ive heard in the last few weeks it the shonehaven club which has the bervie town beet as of this year.

i think you can get tickets to fish the town beet for the sports centre.

ive fished the bervie alot on every beet over the last ten years and have had some very big trout and sea trout.lost the odd salmon.ive also had sea trout from the bay

i will try to find out more info over the next few days

stuart

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 30/07/2008 at 21:14 »
Hi folks :cool:

You should find information for the Bervie on the Stonehaven Angling Assoc website I think ....... we covered this topic in the following thread and I'm sure there was a link to their website too? If not, the address is www.stonehavenangling.com

See the thread here http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=737.0

Best wishes
Mike

gunner100

« Reply #5 on: 01/08/2008 at 22:39 »
Hi phibo and all,

" ive heard in the last few weeks it the shonehaven club which has the bervie town beet as of this year. "

The Stonehaven and District Angling Association have not taken over the Bervie Common Fishings. The position remains that the proprietor of the fishings is the DDSFB who bought out the nets.

At present the DDSFB is waiting for a properly constituted group to be formed by local Bervie anglers after which the fishing rights could be assigned to them. This has the support of the SDAA who have offered to assist such a group should they so wish.

" i think you can get tickets to fish the town beet for the sports centre. "

Yes, you probably still can, but I am not sure.

Best regards all,

Lyall

Graham Strachan

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2008 at 23:17 »
Hi, i`ve fished the Bervie for many years on the Arbuthnott estate and on the L.D.A.A stretches. Permits are around £54 from the L.D.A.A and around £30 from Arbuthnott Estate, some of the best sea-trout and salmon fishing is on the Arbuthnott stretch down behind the Kirkton Farm, the Kirkton Pot pool holds a large amount of good fish late in the season and there are some cracking runs just up river from there. Its been a few years since i actually met a fellow fisher on this beat though!

salar35

« Reply #7 on: 28/08/2008 at 11:28 »
On 29 July, Rob mentioned that "Laurencekirk and district has fishing on the upper reaches".  Um, not quite correct, Rob.......from the close vicinity of the Burn of Guinea confluence upstream to the source of the river, the salmon angling rights have been held on a formal Crown Estate lease by the Stoney angling club for at least the past 25 years, with the LDAA controlling most or all water downstream of that point to the Arbuthnott Estate beat boundary. Our vested interest in the upper river was one reason why we supported the regularisation of the Bervie Mouth fishings, which is still being quietly progressed. Earlier this year Aberdeenshire Council was looking to divest itself of the permit admin at the river mouth, but (as Lyall has said) I believe that nothing has changed meantime and tickets can still be obtained at Inverbervie Leisure Centre. Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 28/08/2008 at 11:43 »
To me those where the upper reaches :) as they are so narrow. remember..I was brought up fishing the Thames, Lea and Trent..anything less than 10 foot wide is "the upper reaches" to me :)

salar35

« Reply #9 on: 28/08/2008 at 13:29 »
Hi Rob

Fair comment.........and some of the upper Bervie from the Burn of Guinea upstream is too narrow  :z6 to swing a cat, right enough. Please remember Lyall's past comment about non-locals being welcome to apply for an SDAA ticket (you can only be accepted or rejected by the committee)......I wouldn't mind seeing you once again hooking an eight pound ST at the Cowie's Estuary Pool. Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 28/08/2008 at 14:41 »
I was seriously thinking about it..just so i can fly fish in the sea!!! Plus I have to cross the Cowie on the Slug road to get to stoney so it would make sense. when do the tickets run from and too?

salar35

« Reply #11 on: 28/08/2008 at 15:54 »
Rob

Application form is downloadable at the Membership Page at www.stonehaveangling.com, where the prices are also displayed. The earlier in the season (early Feb) the better for getting full value from our season ticket, although I have four late applicants currently in the pipeline and two of them still want to join in 2008 despite the lateness of the hour.......the Cowie, Carron and Bervie have varying opening dates but all stay open until 31st October. And (for big autumn grilse aka salmon!) the best is certainly yet to come in this and any season. And Crossley Quarry is a year-round fishery where only thick ice can stop sport. Dave

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #12 on: 28/08/2008 at 16:17 »
think you may have sent a dead or wrongly spelt link so ...

http://www.stonehavenangling.com/main/index.php

salar35

« Reply #13 on: 28/08/2008 at 16:32 »
Spot on and thanks. It's something to do with being a sexagenarian (as distinct from a sexygenitarian). I'll have to stop advertising our club membership for free here or I'll feel the wrath of the moderators!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #14 on: 28/08/2008 at 16:40 »
Spot on and thanks. It's something to do with being a sexagenarian (as distinct from a sexygenitarian). I'll have to stop advertising our club membership for free here or I'll feel the wrath of the moderators!

Haha no worries. Im sure they wont mind (nice chaps ;)) as you were only conveying a possibility of how to aquire the ability to fish this river :D

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com