« on: 20/07/2008 at 14:31 »
Does anyone fish corby loch at all ??
if so what tactics and time of day ??
any advise will be nuch appreciated!

clark

stickleback

Re: corby loch ?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2008 at 19:33 »
Yes - I'm a member of the syndicate there but due to other commitments have hardly been up this year.  Some days it can give brilliant fishing, others it can be dour.  Pretty much the same as anywhere else you may think, but IMHO it's usually a bit more challenging than most of the other local fisheries, possibly because it's a larger area of water and with less stocking.  That being said I don't seem to do particularly well ANYWHERE  :oops :oops  Here's a link to the new website with the official description:

http://corbyloch.co.uk/fishing.htm

You only ever need to use a floating line.  At this time of year I like to go in the evening and use dries, particularly size 14 or 16 sedge type patterns, aiming to finish around 10.30pm.  If you don't intend to use a boat, I recommend that you take waders.  Caenis can be a problem in the evenings, but they should be diminishing around now.

Because the loch is so shallow strong winds, like we've had over the last couple of days, can churn it up and make the water cloudy and pretty much unfishable.  It usually needs a couple of days to settle down again.  Your best bet is to keep your eye on the weather forecast and try and go during a settled spell on a warmish evening with a gentle to very gentle breeze.  Before you go phone Ian Muir at the Tel. No. provided on the link to let him know your intentions and he'll probably arrange to meet you and give you up to the minute advice on what's working etc.  If he hasn't been catching, then usually no-one else has either !!

If you go I hope you enjoy it   :z18

clark

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2008 at 22:46 »
cheers mate i think i am going up on tuesdy so i will cross my fingers for some fish !

clark

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2008 at 23:00 »
Clark, how did you get on ?

Dave

clark

« Reply #4 on: 29/07/2008 at 22:05 »
alright but i didnt pick the best of days to do it . i ended up taking my mate out on one of the boats which was to say the least entertaining :z4 we started around 11 am it was extremeley sunny and there were no fish rising. We started off doing a drift from the middle of the loch to close in beside the south bank. This did not produce any fish though  :cry we then decided to head in to one of the many bays were there was so shelter from the wind and a bit of calm water. Me and ma mate sat in the bay for around an hour with no joy. I decided to put my mate on a sinking line to cover the depths a bit more. Two casts later he had a vicious pull at his fly but didnt manage to hook up. But it did give us a bit of hope.But my friend  two casts later had to go and hook a fish ! by this time (me being the apparent expert)was getting a bit disheartend.so we pushed on for 2 hours with no joy .finally a bit of cloud cover came about and as soon as i did i hooked a fish on a home made bibio  :grin after this having a fish each we decide to call it a day !

this was definetley one to remember ! :z16

clark

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2008 at 22:43 »
I had heard it wasn't an easy place to fish and wondered if this was right.
I guess it's all down to luck at the end of the day no matter how big an expert you are in reading the conditions, finding the depth of the fish are at ect, its just the luck of the day if the fish that sees your fly is hungry or not after all if its not hungry there's nothing saying it's going to take your fly just to see what it is, sometimes they might and then its lucky.
You see what i mean?

Dave

clark

« Reply #6 on: 29/07/2008 at 23:02 »
i couldnt agree more  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com